Oxygen use in wort

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morrey

Reaction score
I have a fairly new O2 system with a diffuser stone from NB. I bought a new Bernzomatic tank (small red O2 tank) at Home Depot. I threaded the regulator on the tank and slowly oxygenated my wort about 15-20 seconds with the regulator maybe 1/3 open. I got good bubbling but not over done by any means.

I left the regulator screwed on the tank but the valve fully closed. I got several beers oxygenated and the tank gave out during beer number 5 when I was almost done.

Is this about normal? I was thinking (hoping) I would have stretched that tank out longer than that. What are other's getting from one of the small red cylinders?

I get 3-5 batches per tank depending on how long I oxygenate. 60 sec for high gravity, shorter time length for lower gravity. They only hold 1.4 oz which I think has to be some kind of scam since the propane bottles the same size hold 14 oz.

I get 3-5 batches per tank depending on how long I oxygenate. 60 sec for high gravity, shorter time length for lower gravity. They only hold 1.4 oz which I think has to be some kind of scam since the propane bottles the same size hold 14 oz.

Ok, so you put my mind at ease by knowing you are getting about the same use rate as I got. I was concerned that leaving the regulator on the bottle may have caused a slow leak but apparently not. Thanks!

I have read that they leak....I just bought one and only used for 1 brew, but unscrewed it for storage. Easy insurance.

I got one 60 second use out of mine then the next time I went to use it, it was empty. Afterwards I read on here that they are known to leak. I now unscrew the regulator after every use and the bottles last a lot longer.

I got one 60 second use out of mine then the next time I went to use it, it was empty. Afterwards I read on here that they are known to leak. I now unscrew the regulator after every use and the bottles last a lot longer.

I was concerned about the leaking aspect of the regulator. If I unscrew from cylinder following each use, should I extend beyond 5 brews as described in my original post?

The O2 is a gas and the propane a liquid.

I get so many uses out of a little Bernzomatic tank that I've lost count. (Way, way way more than five. I've used the same one for years, no joke.) The key is to just let the reg open enough that you see tiny bubbles just appearing on the surface. Any more than that and the O2 is just flying off into the atmosphere and being wasted.

I get so many uses out of a little Bernzomatic tank that I've lost count. (Way, way way more than five. I've used the same one for years, no joke.)
Same here. I've mostly stopped oxygenating my beers via pure oxygen, but I probably got 15 or 20 uses per tank. Maybe more.

Bottom line - yes, they leak. My first O2 tank I got about 4 brews leaving the reg connected. After that, I disconnect it every time and get 20 or more brews at 60 sec per brew.

I was surprised to see responses to this. I easily get 10+ uses per tank and feel like I oxygenate the crap out of each 15 gallon batch.

I plan to remove the regulator body after each use to prevent leaking. My only concern is when I used my last bit of O2 in my previous tank, I removed the regulator from the tank. I tried to screw the regulator back on the tank just to see if I could get more O2 from the tank, but I wasn't able to screw the regulator back into place. I saw another response to this thread where someone had the same issue getting the regulator back on the bottle. I am going to snug up the small pin that goes into the gas bottle and see if that helps.

Bottom line - yes, they leak. My first O2 tank I got about 4 brews leaving the reg connected. After that, I disconnect it every time and get 20 or more brews at 60 sec per brew.

Now I have a baseline of what to expect from a tank of O2. Beforehand, I had no reference.

I was surprised to see responses to this. I easily get 10+ uses per tank and feel like I oxygenate the crap out of each 15 gallon batch.

This answered my question as I felt like using small amounts of O2 with each beer, I should have gotten more than 4 1/2 beer's worth.

Latest posts

Back