OxyClean residue

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob2010SS

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I've been using oxyclean lately instead of PBW. This past week i left the oxyclean solution in 2 carboys for about a week, maybe longer. There's a residue on the inside of the carboys that the carboy brush isn't getting off. Anyone know how to get this residue off? It's like a white cloudy film on the inside. I filled them with a star san solution yesterday and it didn't help. I was almost thinking fill them with a fresh, warm oxyclean solution and see if that helps...? Any advice appreciated. Thanks

I had EXACTLY the same thing today. Didn't know what to do about it. Guys at LHBS said white vinegar will easily remove it, and they were right. Pour in a couple cups, swish it around for a few minutes, and rinse. Vinegar is a stronger acid than StarSan.

I had EXACTLY the same thing today. Didn't know what to do about it. Guys at LHBS said white vinegar will easily remove it, and they were right. Pour in a couple cups, swish it around for a few minutes, and rinse. Vinegar is a stronger acid than StarSan.
Fantastic! That's an easy solution. Dilute with water or just swish the straight vinegar around in the carboy?

Fantastic! That's an easy solution. Dilute with water or just swish the straight vinegar around in the carboy?

It's the same stuff you buy at the grocery store; won't hurt a glass carboy. I used it straight - happened to have a gallon of it from Costco - but diluted might work.

It will etch and pit glass if it stays on it long enough. I wouldn't use it too long.

Vinegar often comes in glass bottles...I've never seen one pitted or etched. Quite a few people wash windows with it. In any case, to clean a carboy it isn't necessary to leave it in at all; just swish a little and rinse it out.

I used to use Oxyclean Free instead of PBW because it was cheaper, but because of my hard water it would leave a gritty sandpaper like residue on the inside of my kegs. Not sure if you're experiencing it. It would take a day long soak of star san to remove it. I moved back to PBW and haven't had a problem. Cost be dammed.

Vinegar often comes in glass bottles...I've never seen one pitted or etched. Quite a few people wash windows with it.

This is a good point. I recall the etching concern from my military days and being warned not to leave vinegar on glass shower doors when cleaning to keep it from etching. *shrug*

I have some "ghosting" on a carboy too. Cant recall if it was from a long Oxy soak or not. I still have the carboy and will give it a shot of Vinegar. Thanks for the tip! (that's what she said)

I have some "ghosting" on a carboy too. Cant recall if it was from a long Oxy soak or not. I still have the carboy and will give it a shot of Vinegar. Thanks for the tip! (that's what she said)

Apparently it doesn't take a long soak in Oxi...it can build up a little at a time. When it reaches a certain point, the rate of buildup accelerates with subsequent soaks. But either way, vinegar still takes it off.

("Ghosting"...I like that)

I used to use Oxyclean Free instead of PBW because it was cheaper, but because of my hard water it would leave a gritty sandpaper like residue on the inside of my kegs. Not sure if you're experiencing it. It would take a day long soak of star san to remove it. I moved back to PBW and haven't had a problem. Cost be dammed.

Sounds like it's kind of similar to what you're seeing. I tried soaking in a star san solution for a couple of days and it didn't work. I did pick up some vinegar and that seems to be doing the trick. It's not an instant fix, but laying the carboy on it's side and letting the vinegar sit on the spots has done the trick.

Back