OxyClean +1

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I even use the OxiClean from Costco which is not the free, just takes an extra rinse or two to make sure there is no smell. I know you are all gasping right now but I have never had an issue using it. You can't beat the quantity and price.

Oxyclean is the ultimate homebrew cleaner/sanitizer

Many here will argue that... because they're stuck in their ways. Use it with confidence. It works. Seems like people might finally be coming around to the fact that it works

Old keg with brown beer stains and stained dip tube. OxyClean Free was the perfect deep clean. I let it sit overnight.
I know people swear by PBW, but I use oxy for everything that needs soaking. Oxy and StarSan are my two main cleaners/sanitizers. I do use the free though.

I even use the OxiClean from Costco which is not the free, just takes an extra rinse or two to make sure there is no smell. I know you are all gasping right now but I have never had an issue using it. You can't beat the quantity and price.

Blasphemy!

We’re going to need you to resign your AHA membership and auction off your gear. Or use what works best for you and enjoy the savings.

I actually used the same thing first couple of times and noticed no difference. Like you said, just another rinse or two and the smell is gone.

I like using OxyClean too, but my water is pretty hard and if I leave bottles and glass carboys in the Oxy solution too long they develop a white mineral coating that only comes off when soaked in an acid solution like Starsan or a vinegar/water solution for a while.

I like using OxyClean too, but my water is pretty hard and if I leave bottles and glass carboys in the Oxy solution too long they develop a white mineral coating that only comes off when soaked in an acid solution like Starsan or a vinegar/water solution for a while.
That is interesting. I once made up a batch of StarSan and it turned cloudy, after some research I found that Starsan will turn cloudy in hard water so I put two and two together and found that my water softener was not working.

Is there something that you have to add to oxiclean to get a better cleaning? I've never bought oxiclean . What is the price difference?

Is there something that you have to add to oxiclean to get a better cleaning? I've never bought oxiclean . What is the price difference?

Hot water works pretty well for me. Seems to work best with a temp of 130f+. Subjective observation, but only downside I can tell is it seems like you have to rinse it more than PBW.

I've used PBW for a while now. I normally get the big container which last a while . Is the amount you use comparable to oxyclean . I've never had any negative issues with PBW .

I've used PBW for a while now. I normally get the big container which last a while . Is the amount you use comparable to oxyclean . I've never had any negative issues with PBW .
PBW is sodium percarbonate + sodium metasilicate + a chelation agent + a gelling agent + a surfactant.

I buy bulk sodium percarbonate, bulk sodium metasilicate, and Jet Dry (which contains the chelation, gelling, and surfactant agents) and I mix them when needed.

Some people use just the sodium percarbonate (oxyclean) or just percarbonate + metasilicate. However I find that it works best with all the same ingredients as PBW, and at a greatly reduced price. Though if you're buying bulk PBW that's still pretty reasonable.
YMMV.

I also use citric acid for an acid wash after the homemade PBW. It generally leaves my stainless sparkling clean. I also have Bar Keepers Friend as a last resort for stubborn residue/stains.
The inside of my kettle is like new, glassware is clean and sparkly, and plastic is clean and non-odorous.

Cheers

Last edited:
So I use Oxyclean as well and it works great. Something that has always been on my mind is how much to use. I usually just grab half a scoop or 3/4 or whatever, it depends on how dirty something is. I have always wondered if i could use less for the same job.

So I use Oxyclean as well and it works great. Something that has always been on my mind is how much to use. I usually just grab half a scoop or 3/4 or whatever, it depends on how dirty something is. I have always wondered if i could use less for the same job.

Same here. Generally I go by the idea it either needs more contact time or more cleaner. Its not scientific but it has had great results

PBW is sodium percarbonate + sodium metasilicate + a chelation agent + a gelling agent + a surfactant.

I buy bulk sodium percarbonate, bulk sodium metasilicate, and Jet Dry (which contains the chelation, gelling, and surfactant agents) and I mix them when needed.

Some people use just the sodium percarbonate (oxyclean) or just percarbonate + metasilicate. However I find that it works best with all the same ingredients as PBW, and at a greatly reduced price. Though if you're buying bulk PBW that's still pretty reasonable.
YMMV.

I also use citric acid for an acid wash after the homemade PBW. It generally leaves my stainless sparkling clean. I also have Bar Keepers Friend as a last resort for stubborn residue/stains.
The inside of my kettle is like new, glassware is clean and sparkly, and plastic is clean and non-odorous.

Cheers

RPh Guy, do you mind sharing what proportions of each you are using? I am assuming that the sodium percarbonate is Oxi and that metasilicate is TSP, am I correct? Jet Dry is a liquid, or is there dry available?

Thanks

I use between 2:1 and 4:1 percarbonate to metasilicate (I use less metasilicate on glassware), and just a squirt of jet dry liquid (just need a small amount).

I take cleaning very seriously because I use lots of wild yeast & bacteria, and I bottle.

Rph how much does say making a 4lb solution cost you ?
I bought in bulk to save money (25lb of percarbonate and 10lb of metasilicate).
At those prices and using 3:1 I'm paying $2.08/lb plus a few cents for the jet dry.

So by making it myself I'm using PBW for a lower price than Oxiclean.

At those prices and using 3:1 I'm paying $2.08/lb plus a few cents for the jet dry.

Wow that's pretty cheap

Sorry if I missed the answer to this in an earlier post, but from where do you buy in bulk? Is this an Amazon purchase or local hardware store?

Back