Oxi or pbw?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mavrick1903

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Which oxi products are suggested?

image-543796561.jpg

Oxiclean and PBW are virtually identical, except that one is twice the price.

Do yourself a favor and get the jumbo tub of perfume-free oxiclean.

Seems to me that PBW is less toxic in the proper dilution,being a food grade cleaner. I value my hide more than a couple bucks. But that's my opinion from what I've experienced thus far.

Seems to me that PBW is less toxic in the proper dilution,being a food grade cleaner. I value my hide more than a couple bucks. But that's my opinion from what I've experienced thus far.

They're the same thing, and you should be eating either one, proper dilution or not. PBW just has surfactants added. When I really need a good clean, I use a scoop of Oxiclean and about a tbsp of dishwasher soap. Strips everything right off.

How is it "they're the same thing", but one has....

They both clean, but not the same product.

_

How is it "they're the same thing", but one has....

They both clean, but not the same product.

_

This.

Near as I can tell from reading their respective MSDS:

Oxiclean
Sodium Carbonate - 55-65%
Sodium Percarbonate - 30-40%
Ethoxylated Alcohol - 2-4%

Sodium Carbonate is commonly known as washing soda, People add it to their laundry to make the detergent they use more effective by softening the water. Also, as an alkaline substance, it will break down fats and oils. Sodium Percarbonate is Sodium Carbonate with an extra Oxygen atom (Na2CO4 vs Na2CO3). When wet, it just breaks back down into Sodium Carbonate and Oxygen. The Oxygen creates bubbles and also provides something of a sanitizing effect. Ethoxylated Alcohol is a surfactant. A surfactant is essentially a detergent; it helps rinse stuff (dirt and grime) away.

PBW
Sodium Metasilicate - 30%
Phosphates and Surfactants (Unspecified) - 70%

Sodium Metasilicate serves pretty much the same function as Sodium Carbonate - it softens the water and makes it alkaline (though it's much stronger). Phosphates (think TSP) are alkaline cleaning agents. Surfactants, see comments above.

The two accomplish pretty much the same thing, but are in no way the same compounds.

Near as I can tell from reading their respective MSDS:

(clip)

Interesting. I had always heard that they had the same basic ingredient of sodium carbonate/percabonate. I guess I learned a lesson about believing everything I read. :mug:

Washing soda can be harmful to some metals
And makes the minerals in the water fall out and make deposits (if prolonged exposure)

PBW is supposed to have been stabelised to avoid these two issues

So if you dont plan long soaks or use toxic or sensitive metals PBW is an extra expense you may not need

On the other hand if your lazy like me and leave to soak for an unknown future date PBW is more then worth its prize

I have used both and tend to use the Oxy free now because its cheap and I can have the SWMBO pick it up at the Store. janivar123 is correct about the deposits that oxy will leave if you let it sit longer that ~24hr. I don't do that anymore after having a scale form inside one of my Kegs. Star san is acidic enough to remove this scale but it is easier to rinse with hot water after a couple hours.

Back