overshot my volume, broke my hydrometer..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bfinleyui

Reaction score
Second all grain batch, first full boil.

Overshot my sparge water, ended up with 6.5 gallons pre boil volume versus the 6.2 that would give me 5.5 post boil. I think I'm rectifying that with another 15 minutes of boil. That should get me closer, yes?

Secondly I went to pick up my hydrometer to take my pre boil gravity, figure my mash efficiency, all that, and dropped the damn thing, and it busted. No lhbs has them in stock.

I have a pre boil sample, how long will it "keep"? If I put it in a sealed sanitized Mason jar, could I get a legit reading tomorrow or the day after, as long as I let it come to room temp? Or am I doomed to a mystery batch?

You should be fine with what you are doing, just sterilize your jar and you should be ok for a few days. Personally if I'm off a bit I'm ok with that, some of my friends are a bit more matter of fact and want things as close as possible, in the end you will make beer. Cheers!

Good luck with the all grain brewing. Im gonna do a few extract brews before investing in the extra equipment. I look forward to it though!

I did my first All Grain yesterday. My efficiency was not as good as I hoped due to drop in temp during mash and stuck sparge (i didn't tie the bag). I will probably take another stab at it in the next few weeks.

A broken hydrometer.....it won't be the last. I always make sure I have two in case this happens on brewday.

7 gallon pot (another reason the overshot volume was a bit whoops. battle against the foam was the toughest yet, but avoided any boil overs).

In a 75 minute boil, I went from 6.5 to 5.6, which worked out to .72 gallons per hour.

Latest posts

Back