Overshot gravity on IIPA..let it go or top off?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thaworm69

Reaction score
Recipe is Mini mash
4lbs Pearl Fawcet
1lb white wheat
1lb crystal 40
3lbs dme
3.3lbs lme
.5oz citra FWH
1oz Falconers Flight @ 60
.5 oz Citra @ 15
1oz Citra @ 10
1oz Citra @ 2
1oz Citra @ Whirlpool
and obviously dry hops.

I think I didn't add enough water to start my full boil. I am sitting just below my 5gal mark. I am getting close to whirlpool temp and am wondering if I should top it off? Do I have enough hops and crystal to make this a good beer? I am at 1.090 at 75 degrees so I am guessing It will go up a few points at 60 degrees. Would you let it go and make a big beer or top off with some water? Thanks!

I also had a smaller Conan starter going without a stir plate ( I know i need to get or make one) but I don't think I have enough yeast in the jar, I do have 2 packs of Safale 05 in the fridge which I would hesitantly use in place of the conan. My conan was only stepped up 3 times and I just don't feel right about trying it this time around. Also might throw this in the FastFerment and was wondering what to do with a blowoff tube for this? Thoughts? Appreciate any help folks! Cheers!

I'd probably top it off a lil bit, and use the us-05, just to be safe.

There's a dilution calculator, on brewersfriend.com

If you add .5 gal, you'll be at 1.082.

If you add 1 gal, you'll be at 1.075.

I was thinking the same thing jp. I appreciate the calculator, I added it to my faves. I did the whirlpool already and have a gallon of distilled water. I think I will add about 3/4 of it and hope my IBU's and such come out decent. Thanks!

I just took a gravity reading and am at 1.016 ish, of course I didn't top it off because I wanted to see how it turned out, and the sample was great! I am at about 9.7%abv with no heat. I did pitch 2 packs of Safale 05 (dumped in..no rehydrate or starter) and it has fluctuated between 58-65 degrees ferm temp. Wort sample was my best yet! I just sprinkled 4 oz of Citra in the bucket for dry hopping. I am very happy I did not top off. Very excited to try this, but also no corn sugar for priming. This is my first time trying to prime with DME. Any ideas for how much to use? I have never primed this big of a beer before either so unsure of how many volumes to go with. Thanks!

Back