Overly Oaked Amber

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cantina De Jefe

Reaction score
Hey all,

I brewed an American Amber back in December that was originally an arrogant bastard clone. I added 2 lbs of corn sugar at 15 min because i didn't think my effciency was high enough to get to my target OG. I must not have figured that the sugar was 100% convertible in my software and i overshot my target by a lot. The OG was about 1.094. So i pitched my yeast starter (1 liter wlp007) and fermented at about 65° for a week. Then i transferred to secondary to age on a 8" oak spiral for 5 weeks. I dry hopped with 1 ounce of chinook before kegging. After 1 week of carbing i tried my beer. What I am getting is a lot of sweet vanillians and huge hop flavor and aroma. Its kinda difficult to pin point where exacly i went wrong but it is definitely not raisiny like AB despite to large quantity of special B added. I will take a gravity reading tonight to determine if its under-attenuated or just over oaked in which case it will need more time to condition. Its not a bad beer and will likely develop with more age. I have a habit of not checking fg and this season have been pushing my brews through quickly to keep up with my expanded capacty. Any thoughts...

Back