OVERhopped - No, I really mean it...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

normzone

Reaction score
Well, I've gone and done it again.

Sunday I was feeing Pliny-like and wanted to use some of every kind of hops I had in the inventory.

So, I kept adding hops until I had accomplished that and then transcribed my notes afterwards.

Six gallons of water, six pounds of DME, and...20 ounces of hops.

Granted, three of them were cascade pellets at flameout, but still...

Will it be undrinkable? Should I immediately begin a batch of hopless to blend later, or blend more now?

I simmered the concoction for something under an hour, adding every several minutes. Tonight I'll read the brew log and run the results through the IBU calculator.

I am so in trouble with the head brewmistress. Even though she is a hophead...

That's a S**TLOAD of hops!

I did a 10-gallon batch with 15 ounces that was absolutely delicious. 1oz of Columbus FWH, then the rest from 20 mintues left to dry hop. 3 ounces are still in the keg right now. My IBU on that one came in at 90+...

You could condition it for awhile until you find it palatable. Hops will diminish greatly over time, that's why historically pale ales traversing over to India had to be bigger and bolder creating its own beer style, as you probably know.

You probably maxed out the IBUs (about 100). Nothing you can do about that.

The hop aroma/flavor will fade over 4-6 months. Since you just started the fermentation, I wouldn't worry about it until bottling time. Give it a month, at least.

Thanks. I think my head brewmistress will agree with your sage advice. I guess I'd better get the next batch going and try to recover my dignity ;-)

To me it still doesnt feels like you can actually have too much hops. Although this brew seems like an insane way to waste through hops inventory, I'd love to try it.

You could condition it for awhile until you find it palatable. Hops will diminish greatly over time, that's why historically pale ales traversing over to India had to be bigger and bolder creating its own beer style, as you probably know.

+1

He hit the nail on the head on why IPAs were so hoppy. 20 ounces is a hell of a lot of hops though!

I like your blending idea only because it may take too long for the hops to dominish with as much as you added. I don't exactly know that it's a linea graph either. Where as if you add 1 oz or 20 ounces, will they all drop off to nothing on the same linear equation? If so then yeah wait and it should be good maybe someone will have some input on that.

I figure if I make a three gallon batch of boring beer and blend the two at bottling it should bring it back down to pliny-like conditions.

Maybe I ought to just go into the batch and taste it now...sacrifices for science and all that.

I figure if I make a three gallon batch of boring beer and blend the two at bottling it should bring it back down to pliny-like conditions.

Maybe I ought to just go into the batch and taste it now...sacrifices for science and all that.

I've done things 10X crazier for 10X less the potential reward.

Go for it!

i've always heard there is a point where you can't taste anymore ibus. somewhere after100 or something. so it may not be as awful as you think.

Or, you might end up looking like one of dudes on the old Keystone commercials. (Bitter Beer Face!)

I've done 20oz before, but 5 were different dryhops. It'll be fine. like others said, your tongue cant taste it after a point so it wont taste much more "hoppy" than pliny.

Sounds good :)

Well, when it was through the first week of refrigerated fermentation I moved it to the brewing bathroom (yes, my second room is my garage and the second bathroom is the brewery - I've got a great woman) and gave it a taste.

Wonderfully hoppy, maybe just a LITTLE over the top. I made a batch of much tamer beer on it's heels and will make the decision to blend, or not to blend, when the time comes due.

I may compromise and keep some out and blend some.

I ran the recipe through one of the IBU calculators, I don't recall which one, and it came out slightly over 500 IBUs.

Obligatory Kung Pow quote: "I mean, I don't think that's even possible"...

i've always heard there is a point where you can't taste anymore ibus. somewhere after100 or something. so it may not be as awful as you think.

I think the issue is solubility not taste, and yeah I've heard between 100 and 120ibu limit

Well, the overhopped batch turned out okay. I bottled some blended with a more boring batch, and bottled some unblended, and the results were pretty much the same.

By the time it bottle carbonated, the hops had blended and faded to resemble some memory of the aroma of one of your parent's beers - generically skunky. It was a good batch for drinking but a waste of hops.

Yep I love hops and the IPA brews i have made I have never noticed much of a difference between 10 to 20 oz to 35 oz. I have done both and do not gain much after 10 oz except for aroma. Usually using about 4-6 ounces including dry hops.

Latest posts

Back