Overfilled the fermenting bucket....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jonno

Reaction score
Hey,

First post on the forum (great site by the way!)

Well i started my first brew last night. Went for a light golden ale.

Problem is I was a little over excited when adding the water and went over the 25litres by accident (its about 27litres, do you think this will have any effect on the beer?). The foam / pressure of the fermentation keeps popping the lid open. So I've put it back on and left a slight cap for some of the gas to escape (don't have an airlock need to get one for the next attempt). Is it alright for the foam to escape and drip out like this, it shouldn't contaminate the mix should it?

At least I know the yeast is working :-D and next time i'll use a bigger bucket or leave more room from the neck of the bucket.

Here's a pic on how its going:

photo-3.jpg

(p.s. i know you shouldn't open the lid when its fermenting, but it was only once and i did it very quickly ;) )

You need to drill a hole in the lid, or get a lid with a hole in it so that you can attach an airlock and blowoff tube. For now, I would just loosely lay the lid on top of the fermenter or use a piece of sanitized aluminum foil. If you keep sealing the lid you are likely to have a beer fountain.

It's fine. messy. but fine. :)

While the CO2 is actively being produced the internal positive pressure of gas will prevent anything (bacteria and O2) from getting in - which is all that really matters.

I would only be concerned with the mess attracting ants or whatever critters are in your area... wouldn't want them crawling in your bucket.

You learned a valuable lesson about Headspace - you needs to has it... airlock or not.

Get an airlock and follow the recipe next time. By adding too much water you made more beer, but you also lowered the alcohol and flavor of the beer.

Congrats on your first brew though! Many more to come I hope.

Latest posts

Back