Over primed my IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Northbank

Reaction score
I did everything right, aside from not accounting for the massive chunk of trub at the bottom of my carboy and racked onto 4.7oz of priming sugar ... just a smudge over 4 gallons. Depending on what calculator I used this will give me a Co2 level of 2.9-3.1 ...... I was aiming for 2.4-2.5

... I'm irritated ....

Somebody new here ... learn from this folly.

It still tastes good ... but I dunno how it will finish out ...

That's about 2/3 cup. I usually use more like 1/3 to 1/2 cup (table sugar) for 5 gals in my IPA (closer to CO2 of 2.0). If you're really worried about it you could let the sugar ferment off and then re-prime and bottle.

That's about 2/3 cup. I usually use more like 1/3 to 1/2 cup (table sugar) for 5 gals in my IPA (closer to CO2 of 2.0). If you're really worried about it you could let the sugar ferment off and then re-prime and bottle.

yea definately do that if you didnt bottle it yet. wait then reprime

stick one in the fridge every day or 2 and when you find the right level of c02. stick the rest or as many as you can in.

If you don't have the fridge space you could also open and recap when they seem primed enough. It might risk a few infected beers, but I'd prefer that to bottle bombs.

I would just keep it bottled and see what happens. Just prepare for the bottles to burst in your storage.

Yeah I stuck them in boxes lined with bags, in my freezer ....

You won't get any carbonation in the freezer (unless it is turned off and at about 70˚F.) Normal gravity beers usually take about 3 weeks at room temp to fully carb. As mentioned previously, you can monitor the carb level, and then just put them in the cooler when you think the carb level is right.

Brew on :mug:

Maybe it is just me...but...this seems very nit picky. Is the beer hoppy? Is it an ale? Do YOU think it tastes like an IPA? If so, then you have an IPA. :)

Drink up. Be happy.

It is turned off and at room temp :)

I basically just wanted them to be somewhere were the mess would not be horrific if things go south ....

I always account for 15% loss from trub/dry hops

I was really big this time ... almost the entire gallon at the bottom ...

I'd carried my carboy into the chest freezer in my big pot because of the handles so I didn't get to see the size of the trub until I'd nearly done syphoning ...

Well, at 2.9-3.1 vol CO2, you shouldn't have to worry about bottle bombs as long as your bottles are structurally sound and not super cheap thin bottles that certain brands use. I've primed up to 3.2 vol CO2 in standard 12oz bottles and haven't had any bottle bombs (yet; knock on wood).

Putting them in the fridge when they're at a carb level you enjoy will more or less slow fermentation to a halt, so I'd recommend popping one every day or two (after at least 24-48hrs in the fridge) until they're at the level you like.

Latest posts

Back