Over-chilled wort

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LovesIPA

Reaction score
I brewed Biermuncher's OktoberFAST yesterday (I know, I'm a procrastinator) and I usually stick the 75-ish degree wort into the chest freezer to cool it the rest of the way down before pitching the yeast.

I also had a poker tournament yesterday and I left the wort in the freezer for about 5 hours before I remembered it. When I checked it, it had cooled all the way down to 47 degrees. I know I need to let it warm back up - but how warm before I can pitch?

Also, can I "shock" the yeast by pitching them into wort that's considerably cooler or warmer than the temperature of the starter?

You can pitch into 50 degree wort, no problem. I'd try to make sure the yeast and the wort are close to the same temperature (take the yeast out of the fridge 15 minutes or so), and add it to the wort and then let it rise up to fermentation temperature. Yeast seem to do well when added to slightly warmer wort.

Back