Over carbed IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frozer860

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm relatively new to kegging. I kegged an Oatmeal Stout previously. My second kegging adventure is a Zombie dust clone. After doing some searching around I think I may have over carbed the beer but I am not 100% if I did and how to correct it. Every Beer I pour is 90% head and no carbonation in the beer. No bubbles rising up from the bottom of the glass.

Kegerator temp is 40 deg F, 10' of 3/16" ID tubing.
I carbed at 12 psi for 7 days. Got impatient and kicked it up to 20 psi for 48 hours. Turned back down to 12 psi, where its been for an additional 7 days. All carbing was done at 40 deg in the kegerator.

After doing some searching I found you can lower serving pressure to about 5 psi and get rid of the huge head issue. That worked great but the beer still has no carbonation. What am I doing wrong? Since this brew has about .5 lbs of great smelling and tasting citra hops I just want to drink it fresh... Thanks! :tank:

Frozer,

I had the same issue with my first keg, and found the answer here. Turn the regulator knob all the way off, then use the pressure relief valve on the keg to bleed the Co2. Do this every couple of hours for at least 12 hours. Then turn your regulator back up to serving pressure (I keep mine about 10-12psi), and try another pour. It may still be a bit foamy but it should settle down.

When a pour turns into foam, it's using up the CO2 that was dissolved in the beer. It's a zero sum problem.

Per our favorite carbonation table the combination of 40°F beer and 12 psi CO2 pressure would eventually reach equilibrium at ~2.5 volumes of CO2. Perfect for most ales.

But...using a corny or Sanke sixtel, it's going to take roughly 2.5 weeks at that steady temperature/pressure combination to reach equilibrium.

forcecarbillustrated.gif

So, you tried to shortcut the process, jumped the pressure to 20psi for 2 days, et voila! Over-carbed keg.

As seatazzz related, taming that keg is rather simple - just shut off the gas completely and pop the PRV every time you remember it. But it could take a whole day or more. Try to be patient this time around.

Also, do not reduce your "serving pressure" (gawd, that phrase makes my teeth itch ;)). There is no such thing as "serving pressure" - at least, no such thing with a net positive benefit.

You wisely have the lines to handle 12 psi (maybe a wee bit on the short side but pretty close), so once you tame the keg, that's what you should always use...

Cheers! :mug:

That is one badass chart. I have recently started kegging as well, and I have been using the shake methode. But I think because of that, my beer taste too young. Giving the 2 weeks will allow a clearer beer and a mature tasting beer. Well, hopefully.....

That chart is great. I bookmarked it. The above method did work if anyone ever references to this thread on the future.

Back