out of dat WlP665

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

badlee

Reaction score
I just got my two vails WLP665 and 655 so I am as happy as a pig in muck right?
It turns out that the 665 goes out of date today. I cannot brew til Saturday and am kind of freaking out.
Am I going to be pitching a dead vail of yeast?

ForumRunner_20131120_124234.png
It looks nothing like the 655,which is lovely and creamy.
Please tell me it will be ok to pitch this into 10ltrs

Cheers for that. I was imagining that my first ever vials made their way with a friends dad, only the find their final resting place in Thailand.
You put my mind at rest.

i'd expect the sacch in that old vial to be somewhat depleted, but the bugs should be fine. they're hardy buggers (in fact they're probably munching on the dead sacch). if you have access to some sacch (dry, from another batch, etc), you could always pitch just a pinch of that to make up for the stuff that has died.

You know Sweetcell, I was thinking about doing just that.
I have a decent supply of dried sacc, Windsor, S-23,S-33,S-04,S-05, danstar west coast ale and WB-06.
Just have to decide which to go with. Leaning towards Windsor as it attenuates less, leaving more for the other little buggers.

I had been hanging on to a vial of WLP644 with a date of Aug 5, kept in the fridge. I made a 500ml starter a few weeks ago that fermented out very well with much yeast sediment after one week. I think you'll be just fine.

Just to be on the "safe" side, I pitched the Flanders with about 1/5 of a packet of Windsor.

Went back home to check on progress and the 655 was going ape sh#t!
The FV pitched with 665 seems to have gone wild with the Windsor during the night and was dormant this afternoon.

Went back home to check on progress and the 655 was going ape sh#t!
The FV pitched with 665 seems to have gone wild with the Windsor during the night and was dormant this afternoon.

perfect! sounds like the Windsor chomped through most of the simple sugars, got some alcohol in there and lowered the pH (so the brew is now much less likely to get infected). on to the souring...

I am very much hoping that this is the case.
Ooops.
But this is just how much I am hoping that what sweetcell said is the case.

Back