Ornamental Cherry Tree

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BoomerCreek

Reaction score
I have an ornamental cherry tree growing next to my driveway. It flowers very early in the season and produces a dark reddish/green foliage. I believe that it's fruit is nearly ready. These cherries are very tart and have no sweetness whatsoever. Does anyone know if there is any value to these fruits for cider making? Thanks.

I'd think about making a cherry flavoured mead, wine or cider rather than a straight cherry cider. There are heaps of mead recipes with cherries in them in the recipe database on here.

I've got a 25yo wild cherry tree in my back yard, and I'm planning on using some of the cherries in a cherry stout recipe. The recipe calls for 5#, not sure if you are able to get that many.

I don't know what i will be able to harvest from it. The tree is about 20-25 feet tall and columnar. It will mostly be a matter of me reaching them. I'm concerned primarily that they are ok for consumption. I haven't ever heard of a cherry that produces poisonous cherries but who knows?

Back