Original Gravity too high 1.060

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

strongarm

Reaction score
I have brewed this beer 2 times before with and never got this result. My OG was 1.153,
basic ingrediants
30lb MO
Also couple pounds of flaked barley, special B, Crystal, chocolate, totaling 20% of the grain bill.
I mashed at 150 for 90 minutes.
Primary yeast was an English ale yeast 3liter starter and added oxygen for the first day every few hours. This brought it down to 1.070SG or around 11% which is always where that yeast dies off. I then pitched a 2l starter of 099 super high gravity yeast. 3 weeks later it was down to 1.060 and no noticeable activity. I expected to get this down to ~1.035 as I have twice in the past.

The only changes I made this time were my starting gravity was a bit higher because I over boiled, about 10points higher. Also I normally add about 2.5lbs of corn sugar during fermentation but didn't this time. Last I mashed at 155 and this time at 150...I thought that would help increase ferment able sugars.

Any thoughts before I attempt this one again?

Back