Original gravity high?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newfiebrew

Reaction score
Hey guys just starting the boil on my second brew a nut brown ale and it's smelling so good:) I am supposed to have a OG of 1.054 but my OG was 1.084 is this because it was my first rubbings and not the mix of all the runnings? What sample should be used to determine efficiency ,all your runnings or the first runnings?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

If you do partial boils,you may not have gotten the chilled wort & top off water mixed well in the fermenter to get an accurate OG reading.

All grain full boil but it wasn't a mixture of all the runnings after the batch sparge

I usually wind up with a higher OG after adding the dunk sparged runnings to the boil kettle. Sounds like it was low till you added the sparged part?

If I'm understanding you correctly, yes your first runnings from your mash tun are going to be much higher than your target OG, the progressive runnings will dilute it until it ends up near your target.

Edit: sorry I was super tired when I wrote this. Your OG is based on your post-boil gravity. Your efficiency can be calculated from the specific gravity of all your runnings together pre-boil, along with the volume that you collected.

Thanks guys I'll now soon once I take my pitching gravity. I'm thinking it was just super concentrated first runnings:)

Back