Orange extract killed my yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gabbz

Reaction score
Hey all,

My first post. I've had an Orange Cream ale that has been bottled 3 weeks now and shown pretty much no sign of carbing up. I added 2 oz of McCormick Orange extract at bottling to boost the orange flavor. I saw on another thread from a guy who said that McCormick Orange killed his yeast and he got flat beer. Anyone had experience that this is the case? And if so, can I open the bottles and repitch some yeast to carb these bad boys up? Its already pretty tasty, but it'd be nice to have actual beer. Thanks!

2 oz of orange extract is neither going to kill yeast or result in flat beer. The only thing in orange extract that would possibly kill yeast is the citric acid, and 2 oz dilluted into 5 gallons is nothing. Think about how hard lemonade is made, and how high the citric acid content is in a batch of that. This is about 1/10000 of the concentration.

Can you list your bottling process? Maybe a silly question, but did you add priming sugar at bottling?

This is my sixth batch and all have been fine to this point. I normally use 4.25 to 4.5 oz by weight of cane sugar. I could have sworn that I primed this batch the same way but maybe I forgot. It's still been just less than 3 weeks in the bottle. Any chance it could suddenly carb up still? Or could I try to pop the caps and add some sugar?

Earlier this year I brewed 5 gallons of wheat beer ,and after a week,I added 1oz. of McCormick's lemon extract via the airlock. After 8 weeks,3 fermenting,and 5 conditioning,it turned out as a pleasant,refreshing,lemony, beer.I bottle carb using 1 Domino dot per 12oz. bottle,for every batch and have no problems with any of them not carbing.

I like the domino sugar packet idea. Probably a billion times cheaper than carbonation drops. Any idea how much sugar they contain by weight?

I'm hard pressed to think that orange extract killed the yeast myself. All else that's in it is alcohol and oils really. I almost forgot to add priming sugar once myself. Why don't you just test one bottle by priming it and recapping to see what happens. Do you have ANY carbonation going on right now? I'm sure it's fine but I have to ask, what temp is it at?

There's some carbonation yes. Nothing to create much foam, and a it makes a very soft hiss when opening a bottle. I think I might try adding some sugar and see what happens.

Actually Crazyworld, Domino Dots are not packets they are miniature sugar cubes. I cube = 0.08 oz., 2.29g, or 1/2 teaspoon. I drop one into each bottle after filling ,before i cap it and have had really good luck with the bottles carbing correctly.They cost alittle over a $1.50 per box and each box has 198 cubes,or enough for over 8 full cases. I have heard that in some areas they are not avaliable.I don't think they would spoil,so every so often at the grocery store I will buy a box. I have 6 boxes in my extra fridge.Almost enough for 50 cases.That should last me for quite awhile.

Maybe a silly question but what temp have the bottles been conditioning at? It should be warm enough for that yeast to eat the priming sugar (60-70F). Its probably a long shot seeing as you've bottled before but just my .02.

Cheers!

Back