Orange Blossom Cream Ale Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chavi

Reaction score
I tried an Orange Blossom Cream Ale at a local bar the other day and I wanted to replicate it. This is a partial grain. Here is my recipe:

Ingredients:

3 pounds of 2-Row Malt
.5 pounds of C-vienne Castle
.25 pounds of Honey Malt
1 pound of flaked Maize
Light liquid malt extract
1 ounce centennial hops
1 ounce cascade hops
Safale-05 yeast

Directions:

Put all the grains and 2/3 of the bag of maize in a grain bag and place in a brew pot. Only add enough water to cover the grains. Bring the water to a temperature of 150-155 degrees for 45 min to an hour. Sparge the grains and re-add in the original pot. After sparging is complete, add the malt extract and bring to a boil. Once it gets to a boil add all the centennial hops and boil for 60 minutes. During the last 15 minutes of the boil add 1/2 to 3/4 of the cascade hops. After the 15 minutes is up, cut the boil and add 1.5 to 2 ponds of orange blossom honey. Add to primary and top off with water. Your OG should be around 1.045-1.050 and should finish around 1.012-1.010.

Let me know what you think.

Not sure if it is the same one you tried but, Buffalo Bill's Brewery makes a great summer seasonal "Orange Blossom Cream Ale". Their website says it is made with Pale & Victory Malts, First Gold Hops, sweet orange peel, honey, and orange blossom extract. 5.2% ABV, 13 IBUs. Great unusual beer if you can clone it. I think the orange blossom honey sounds like a good start.

Has anyone ever brewed this? How did it turn out? Is it a Buffalo Bills Ornge blossom clone? Is the LME 3.3# can or what?

If this isn't a clone for Buffallo Bill's Orange Blossom Honey Cream Ale, does anyone have a clone recipe?

Is This 20 questions? Sorry for dragging a thread out of antiquity, but it's about the only one I could find! LOL

I since have made many changes to this beer. It doesnt taste much like Buffalo Bill's but its my haus beer. I have it on tap year round.

3# Liquid Malt Extract
3# US 2 Row
0.5# Honey Malt
1.5# Tupelo Honey (or whatever honey you have access to)
1# Flaked Corn
1 oz. Mittlefruh 4.8% (.75 oz at 60 and .25 oz at 10 min)
WLP001

If you want to do all-grain, use 8 lbs of US 2 row and no extract.

Also, if you want more orange aroma, add 1 oz sweet orange peel with 10mins left in the boil.

I tried an Orange Blossom Cream Ale at a local bar the other day and I wanted to replicate it. This is a partial grain. Here is my recipe:

Ingredients:

3 pounds of 2-Row Malt
.5 pounds of C-vienne Castle
.25 pounds of Honey Malt
1 pound of flaked Maize
Light liquid malt extract
1 ounce centennial hops
1 ounce cascade hops
Safale-05 yeast

Directions:

Put all the grains and 2/3 of the bag of maize in a grain bag and place in a brew pot. Only add enough water to cover the grains. Bring the water to a temperature of 150-155 degrees for 45 min to an hour. Sparge the grains and re-add in the original pot. After sparging is complete, add the malt extract and bring to a boil. Once it gets to a boil add all the centennial hops and boil for 60 minutes. During the last 15 minutes of the boil add 1/2 to 3/4 of the cascade hops. After the 15 minutes is up, cut the boil and add 1.5 to 2 ponds of orange blossom honey. Add to primary and top off with water. Your OG should be around 1.045-1.050 and should finish around 1.012-1.010.

Let me know what you think.

How much LME 3# ?

definitely add 1 oz. sweet orange peel with 10 minutes left in the boil. And use orange blossom honey if you want it to be like buffalo bills. Buffalo bills uses orange blossom extract i think but i dont know where to get that, so I have never used it. Thats probably how they get it to taste and smell the way it does.

No problem! Here is a picture of what it looks like on tap. Its much more clear than the picture suggests. This is also brewed with tupelo honey. But if you end up brewing it, let me know what you think! I love this beer.

IMG_0777.jpg

Thanks! I also made this beer at my wedding and everyone loved it. The guests killed 10 gallons of this in about an hour haha. Fresh Orange blossom will make this delicious. Let me know how it turns out!

I always see orange blossom extract in the grocery store, next to the rosewater in the "international foods" section. IIRC, it was under $2 for a bottle! Try an Indian or Pakistani market... I think it's used to flavour a yogurt drink called Lassi.

I always see orange blossom extract in the grocery store, next to the rosewater in the "international foods" section. IIRC, it was under $2 for a bottle! Try an Indian or Pakistani market... I think it's used to flavour a yogurt drink called Lassi.

Nice! Good to know!

Hi, I just brewed my second batch of this. I like the look and the taste but it has an aftertaste bitterness to it. I may be the culprit, but does anyone have any ideas? I'm thinking maybe different hops. I do like it and it goes fast, but I'm looking for a less bitter finish.

Cheezy, thanks for the quick response awesome thread. I'm on it. I owe you one
:ban:

:mug:

I was staggered how good it turned out! So far beyond any expectation.

Orange blossoms sound like an intrigueing idea, but it will be hard to ever convince me to use anything citrus but tangerine peel in the boil!

Latest posts

Back