Options for Immersion Chiller Inlet

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McCoy

Reaction score
Ideally I'd like to run my tap through my immersion chiller, but I'm not sure this will be possible. As you can see from my attached images, it seems like I cannot attached a threaded adaptor to the faucet. I see no clear way to remove the aerator, but I'm not familiar with this sort of thing, so I'm not sure if I'm just missing something. As far I can tell, my only options are:

1) Get a submersible pump. I'm not sure what kind of connection I could make with such a pump and would value others' experiences.

2) Attach about a 1" tube to the faucet and somehow connect it to the chiller or another inlet tube. I'm not sure how to go from larger to smaller tubing, and if anyone has an idea, speak up.

Generally I'd like to keep things cheap and simple. I like the approach of just attaching vinyl tubing with hose clamps that some have taken, but unless I can get a barb onto my faucet, I can't do that.

_DSC0403.JPG

_DSC0405.JPG

_DSC0406.JPG

If you're really wanting to use that faucet as a water source than just disconnect it from under the sink. There should be threaded connectors there...

For ease, find a hose with an ID that matches that OD. Might have to clamp it somehow, yet you may be surprised as how little back pressure there is on the chiller.

For the chiller end, there should be a fitting at LOWES to fit your new hose.

You can shove a hose over a threaded fitting. Sometimes the diameters are just right. (Like a 1/2" hose will fit a 3/8" black pipe)

Vinyl hose can be heated lightly and it will stretch.

Heck, a cut piece of 5/8" garden hose may slide right on that faucet . . . . :ban:

'da Kid

Those kind of faucets have a little adapter wrench that allows you to remove the aerator. I saved mine from doing the install myself. There has to be somewhere to get one or to do a work around. Don't give up on the idea. Might be able to look up on manufacturers website.

1) Get a submersible pump. I'm not sure what kind of connection I could make with such a pump and would value others' experiences.

A submersible pond pump usually comes with a few different size barbed fittings. Slide your inlet hose over the barb and worm-clamp the other end over your chiller. Depending on the size of your chiller, you might need a reducing fitting between the pump and the chiller inlet, like so:

Pump->larger hose-> reducing fitting->smaller hose-> chiller inlet.

This is what I've got. I forget what
exactly I used to join the different size hoses, but it was one of the myriad Watts fittings.

So . . . . . . . are you thinking of a sub. pump sitting in the basin while having the faucet keep the basin full?

Interesting!

One could throw an Ice Maker bin full of ice in the basin and save some water by recirculating it and occasionally letting the outlet go down the drain.

Hmmmmmmm;)

'da Kid

If you're really wanting to use that faucet as a water source than just disconnect it from under the sink. There should be threaded connectors there...

I've seem some cool taps under the sink for chillers, but since I have limited tools and DIY skill, and more importantly since I rent an apartment, I don't have the guts to do it myself.

Those kind of faucets have a little adapter wrench that allows you to remove the aerator. I saved mine from doing the install myself. There has to be somewhere to get one or to do a work around. Don't give up on the idea. Might be able to look up on manufacturers website.

I wish I'd been here for the installation so I could have just chosen a different faucet. That wrench is long gone and I don't even know what brand the faucet is in order to look for it.

I've taken a look at reducing fittings, but to use them for my faucet I'd have to cascade them, like 1" -> 3/4", 3/4" -> 1/2", 1/2" -> 3/8", which is just too many opportunities for leaks and too much hardware. I haven't seen anything like 1" -> 3/8" in my searching.

Fortunately as jeffjm said, there are plenty of sizes available for the pumps, and some have 3/8" barbs. And like The10mmKid was saying, it'll also let me recirculate ice water, which will be especially helpful once I'm approaching pitch temps (currently my tap is just under 70 degrees, so I would never get the wort cold enough). I've decided to buy this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003UXBGTI/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

EDIT: I just quickly searched online for an aerator wrench and it seems like they run about $7+, so I think getting the pump won't be much more expensive after accounting for the cost of the wrench, threaded fittings, etc., and it will give me increased utility.

Last edited by a moderator:
Your best bet may be to go under the sink and install a tee and valve. Your sink would work normally, and you would have an auxiliary outlet below for your chiller.

Your best bet may be to go under the sink and install a tee and valve. Your sink would work normally, and you would have an auxiliary outlet below for your chiller.

I like this idea when I've seen it in the past, but as I noted in my last post, I am not sure I'd be up to the task from a DIY standpoint and I rent an apartment so I'm leery of making modifications to the plumbing.

I like this idea when I've seen it in the past, but as I noted in my last post, I am not sure I'd be up to the task from a DIY standpoint and I rent an apartment so I'm leery of making modifications to the plumbing.

That's a healthy concern, but fortunately, this is going to be the easiest, most effective, and least intrusive solution. If you look under the sink you will see the hoses that come from the water main and from the water heater. You will unscrew the cold one, and install a tee. Put the hose back onto one side, and your new valve on the other. When you move out, you can take it with you. Done.

i use a 5/8ths adapter
take the end of the hose with you and fit it in one of the pipes

Back