Options for cold crashing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Staticsouls

When will the beer be free?
Reaction score
I picked up a 10 gallon conical said to hold 2 bar from my lhbs for stupid cheap, but it was missing the top cap and fittings. Long story short I got most everything but am stuck on my cooling options. From googlefu I found this to be an alibaba 35l 2 bar conical. I got a 8 inch cap with a 4 inch tc reducer and have been torn between the spike tc 100 cooling coil and the brew built pressure cap and coolstix. The pressure cap comes with a 1.5 tc for the cool Stix and gas and liquid ball lock connections. If I use the tc 100 I won't have a blow off unless I get some cust work done, but now I'm worried the coolstix won't cut it. I freeze large ice block for the chilling of wort during my hot side and think which ever coil I get I can use a cooler pump and ink bird to manage the cooling till I rig a glycol chiller.

Tldr should I steer clear of the coolstix and find a custom weld solution for the tc 100 coil?

IMG_20210316_180154_629.jpg

Here is a picture for reference

I have definitely thought about the upright fridge or freezer option as well. I would honestly love a lightly used super cheap commercial upright unit with a glass door. I may try that route after I do more research.

I scored a full height commercial with curved glass door that holds six kegs and would take eight if I did a bit of trimming to the plastic stick out bits that the shelves sit on. It's my keg fridge now.
Got it for 35 US dollars and just had to replace the fan in the top with two 12v pc fans and fitted a " dimmer " on the supply so that the fans run nice and slow and quiet. Got the fans for 50C each.
My fermenting fridge with small top freezer is a nice stainless one was advertised for a dollar as it just chilled without stopping, so I put STC 1000 controller on it and it's perfect. Fits a 35l fermentasaurus no problem and goes down to 0 Celsius if needed in fact lower as I froze some beer the other week on the top cold crashing.
Plus when I picked it up I only had a 2 dollar coin and the guy didn't have change. I was happy to give him the 2 dollars but he insisted we tossed for it, he lost so it was a freebie.

I’d keep and eye out for an upright freezer. The glass commercial units look cool, but they use lots of electricity. If you find one cheap, it would be fine for a fermenter, but definitely not for a kegerator.
That coolstix looks like an after thought. Instead of the spike unit that requires you to have a 4” tc ferrule welded on, I’d opt for the kegland temp twister coil and some threaded bulkhead compression fittings. TRUE Weldless Bulkhead - With 3/8 Compression Fitting Bore Thru this will work up to 3/8” thick. Check the thickness of your triclamp lid. Then throw some compression fittings/quick connects on the coil ends for your cooling liquid lines.

Woooo I scored a FREE ge signature side by side with stainless doors! This should be bad ass! This is definitely going to work way better than any coil or coolstix.

The final tc gasket came in today and I ran the psi up to 25psi and it went well. My Chapman buckets have served me very well for several years, but better is better. Thanks for the tips peeps, and cheers!

Back