Opinions on Highgravity's EBC III-D Electric Brewery Controller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CTolino

Reaction score
Hey guys,
Myself and the guys I brew with are looking to go electric with our system since we moved it into the basement. I have been looking around at panels and elements and what not. I had looked at the Electric Brewery panel, some panels from Electric Brewing supplies, and the EBC III-D Electric Brewery Controller from Highgravity. What are everyone's opinions? The Highgravity controller seems to be the best deal for the money. I wasn't sure about the quality though. We have 30 gallon kettles for our system, and have the RIMS kit for the hop rocket.
I was also looking at the elements, and wanted to try and make my own to save a little money, but have yet to figure out a good way to ground the heating element. Does anyone have suggestions?

For. Whats included for the money as far as the components involved and total functionality Its the most overpriced option I have seen... Kals setup is expensive but thats because at least thats based on the type of top shelf components and the amount of functionality in the system. If high gravity were to offer the same links to the components like Kal does at the electric brewery.com you would see the components all add up to somewhere between $200-300 and it takes 2-3 hours tops to build for the guys pumping them out. There is another current thread discussing this very topic.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f170/h...er-electric-brewing-setup-494787/#post6642757

I'm not really all too sure components I would need for a build. I am looking for a rims system with the ability to run 3 elements. The brew boss from the other thread I couldn't figure out what all it included, but I'm on my phone right now so it might be easier to see on my laptop. Ebrew supply DIY kits didn't look bad, but again I would need a 3 element controller and the complete diy kit I would need is $1300-$1400 and I would still have to assemble it. Part of my problem is I don't really know what parts I would need.

I'm not really all too sure components I would need for a build. I am looking for a rims system with the ability to run 3 elements. The brew boss from the other thread I couldn't figure out what all it included, but I'm on my phone right now so it might be easier to see on my laptop. Ebrew supply DIY kits didn't look bad, but again I would need a 3 element controller and the complete diy kit I would need is $1300-$1400 and I would still have to assemble it. Part of my problem is I don't really know what parts I would need.
go visit http://www.theelectricbrewery.com

For. Whats included for the money as far as the components involved and total functionality Its the most overpriced option I have seen... Kals setup is expensive but thats because at least thats based on the type of top shelf components and the amount of functionality in the system. If high gravity were to offer the same links to the components like Kal does at the electric brewery.com you would see the components all add up to somewhere between $200-300 and it takes 2-3 hours tops to build for the guys pumping them out. There is another current thread discussing this very topic.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f170/h...er-electric-brewing-setup-494787/#post6642757

Boy... that escalated quickly

Kals setup is expensive but thats because at least thats based on the type of top shelf components and the amount of functionality in the system.
I'll make a comment on the 'top shelf' components that augiedoggy mentions I recommend/use in my system.

We've tried various parts and components over the years and there is definitely a different in quality, even when comparing two components that are CSA/UL/CE rated.

Today most of the parts we use in our kits and pre-panels, and recommend at TheElectricBrewery.com are NOT sourced from China/Taiwan. This includes the critical high power devices such as the relays, receptacles, plugs, wire, and more. Yes, these parts are more expensive when bought from name brand US manufacturers.

This is why in my instructions I link to specific quality parts whenever possible. For example, I always link to all Leviton receptacles and plugs. These are industrial grade parts that come with a lifetime warranty, that are made in the USA. Example:

http://www.leviton.com/OA_HTML/ProductDetail.jsp?partnumber=2626F&section=40527&minisite=10251

With the instructions however it's hard to control quality as for many items it's up to the user to make the choice which light, plug, or receptacle to purchase. I offer many options, I can't control what someone purchases. For the pre-built and kit panels, no such options are offered, nor do I want to go there. Only American made is offered when the option is available even though we could lower prices by going with other off-shore manufacturers if we wanted to.

Cheaper parts are indeed available, but at the end of the day you truly do get what you pay for. As an added bonus, it helps support local/North American companies which is something I feel strongly about.

Everyone has different needs and budgets so it's important to judge things for yourself. There's no right or wrong answer. I caution people against comparing products based on price alone. If something is cheaper, there's usually always a reason. Do your research and make sure you're ok with that reason before spending your money.

Kal

I'll make a comment on the 'top shelf' components that augiedoggy mentions I recommend/use in my system.

We've tried various parts and components over the years and there is definitely a different in quality, even when comparing two components that are CSA/UL/CE rated.

Today most of the parts we use in our kits and pre-panels, and recommend at TheElectricBrewery.com are NOT sourced from China/Taiwan. This includes the critical high power devices such as the relays, receptacles, plugs, wire, and more. Yes, these parts are more expensive when bought from name brand US manufacturers.

This is why in my instructions I link to specific quality parts whenever possible. For example, I always link to all Leviton receptacles and plugs. These are industrial grade parts that come with a lifetime warranty, that are made in the USA. Example:

http://www.leviton.com/OA_HTML/ProductDetail.jsp?partnumber=2626F&section=40527&minisite=10251

Cheaper parts are indeed available, but at the end of the day you truly do get what you pay for.

Everyone has different needs and budgets so it's important to judge things for yourself. There's no right or wrong answer. I caution people against comparing products based on price alone. If something is cheaper, there's usually always a reason. Do your research and make sure you're ok with that reason before spending your money.

Kal
this is simply not as black and white as you make it seem... I have owned multiple products at multiple ends of the spectrum...
For example I have had a couple corvettes and they are no more reliable than the dodge truck or Buick I owned. (And honestly I've always owned american cars but my last 2 company cars which have been Toyotas have been the most reliable new vehicles I've owned) I repair TVs as a hobby and found that most of the "american" names brands are just the same cheap foriegn products rebranded and packaged and sold with markups...

I guess what I'm saying is in the real world pricing differences can be just as often tied to marketing and social status than quality. And many of those products that say made in america are actually the same china/Taiwan products with some superficial change made in the USA like two pieces snapped together and rebranded and sold as "made in the USA"

You are absolutely right augiedoggy - I didn't mean to insinuate that foreign made means "bad" and made in North America means "good". It's certainly not that black and white for everyone and everything.

Kal

Hey guys,
Myself and the guys I brew with are looking to go electric with our system since we moved it into the basement. I have been looking around at panels and elements and what not. I had looked at the Electric Brewery panel, some panels from Electric Brewing supplies, and the EBC III-D Electric Brewery Controller from Highgravity. What are everyone's opinions? The Highgravity controller seems to be the best deal for the money. I wasn't sure about the quality though. We have 30 gallon kettles for our system, and have the RIMS kit for the hop rocket.
I was also looking at the elements, and wanted to try and make my own to save a little money, but have yet to figure out a good way to ground the heating element. Does anyone have suggestions?

Grounding the elements: if you are on the "buy" side of the "make/buy" decision I would take a look at these options for element housings:
https://www.brewhardware.com/category_s/1895.htm
http://www.brewershardware.com/RIMS-Tube/
http://stilldragon.com/index.php/accessories/element-connections.html

I'm still not sure which way I'm going with mine - I'm still in the design phase.

I have an EBC-III D that i have used for 35 brews of both 5 and 10 gallon. I went with this because it was solid and simple with a rheostat to control the boil. Yes, the parts were nowhere near as expensive as the completed unit, but i didn't want to spend so much for the full-up Electric Brewery controller and didn't want to buy additional construction tools for the DIY two 5500W controller. Ultimately, i will go to the Electric Brewery controller, but I have been able to spend all the time saved from not building the controller in actually brewing and getting my process down. Down the road, i can drink my EBC III D beer as I build from Kal's kit.

Just to pile on to this, I think you should get whatever your budget and skillset for DIY can afford.

I looked at a bunch of different options and really liked the kal setup but did not think spending $400 a brewpot for blichmanns was within my budget, so I opted for the AIH $119 2 weld 15 gal specials. They work great and I got all 3 for less than one blichmann pot.

I also built a kal-clone panel with the 30amp 2PID ebrewsupply DIY kit. It works, I know how to fix/repair it, and the whole panel soup to nuts cost me about $600 tops. I had never done much electrical work before that kit and it took me a while to wire it all up but I am a newbie and if I can do it, anyone can.

It has taken what feels to me like FOREVER to get everything bought, assembled and operational(we are taking about 6+ months) as I was/am paying for things as I go but I had anticipated this and continued to brew on my stove top with my Hot Rod or outside on the propane when it was warm enough to brew outdoors and that kept the beer pipeline going while the e-build is in progress. I still need to complete some ventilation and shed finishing work for my complete e-build to be 100% done, but again, I planned for this to take a while and had a plan B for brewing in the meantime.

I only wanted to do this e-build investment/build ONCE and have what I wanted for an e-build. If it took longer due to time restraints and $$$ flow, so be it.

If DIY with electric components is not your thing, HGravs stuff is very ideal, reasonable price-wise and alot of folks here have them and use them with no issues and it makes great beer. Its plug and play. It can also be that stop gap for getting to a more expensive e-build or you may even find the High Gravs option is good enough for you and meets all of you needs and that becomes your answer for e-brewing now and for the foreseeable future.

The key is to buy what you can afford and are comfortable with purchasing and building or if you want to go down the bigger e-build road like a kal setup, plan your build to take a while so you get it done right the first time. A Kal build is not something you can just knock out on a weekend. Its a time consuming project that needs to be properly planned in advance.
Also have a plan b to keep brewing in the meantime if you go the longer road like I did.

:rockin:

Thanks everyone for all the input. I've been watching this thread diligently, and now have a lot more to think about. I just upgraded my HLT, got the RIMS rocket for my HopRocket and a sparge arm all for the holidays hopefully soon I'll be hooking up the e-system. Right now this is what I'm working with. View attachment 251971

Not a bad setup at all honestly and most of those pots you have would work great to convert to electric if you wanted to go to a 3-tier kal style setup..my bigger question is where are you brewing with all of that wall art man! I see Sex Pistols and silver boobies painted on the wall..AWESOME! :)

Not a bad setup at all honestly and most of those pots you have would work great to convert to electric if you wanted to go to a 3-tier kal style setup..my bigger question is where are you brewing with all of that wall art man! I see Sex Pistols and silver boobies painted on the wall..AWESOME! :)

Hahah, My place is too small for my setup, my mom was gracious enough to let us brew in her basement. That is just some leftover carnage from my years in high school. The fact that she never killed me just goes to show she is a saint.

Once again I say my mother must be a saint for having put up with myself and my friends in highschool. Haha

Latest posts

Back