Opentroller bx1

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

walte1fr

Reaction score
anyone have feedback on the opentroller bx1? I'm looking at doing an ebrewery with 3 vessels all keggles and 3 pumps most likely. looking for automation and I was sold on the BCS but just found out about the opentroller. I understand some programing but i'm no computer programmer. I'm always willing to learn new things though. Is it a tough controller to setup?

Knowing a bit of programming will come in handy. The opentroller documentation seems a bit patchy. There is some support on the Oscsys forum but the guys who run it have day jobs.

Don't know much about BCS but at first glance it looks much more like it is supposed to run out of the box.

Yeah that's what I liked about it. But I found a good deal on the opentroller. Its also a bit cheaper.

Yeah I liked that it was more "turn key" if you would say. I also liked that I could connect to it remotely over the internet. I'm not sold on either one. It seems they both have great features. Also the opentroller has volume measurement. Something bcs has said they are working on but haven't gotten it to the drawing table but would like to.

The new opentroller is pretty turn key in that all you need to do is load the firmware that matches what type of set up you have. Where it be RIMS, HERMS, direct fire, steam ext. But if you want to customize the set up then you need to do some digging. The support for the opentroller is great. You can call them or I have never waited more then 24hrs for an email response. Also you can use your computer or table to controll your opentroller with brewtroller live. From what I have seen BCS has been working on the volume measurement thing for years so I wouldn't expect anything soon.

Yeah I'm not expecting anything for volume from them. I'm not even sure I'd use it but I like the option to be able to.

Latest posts

Back