Opening store to sell various beer inspired wood items

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CoalCracker

Reaction score
My dad currently owns a 3000sqft industrial wood shop. I have the pleasure of working when I want in it and use the tools at my dispoal. To make some extra money on the side I was looking at opening up a web store to sell various wood crafts pertaining to beer. Tasting flights, mash paddles, beer crates, six pack carriers, etc. These would be custom items made from quality hardwoods. I also have some other ideas for items that aren't wood. I know that we all take pride in our brewery's and home bars and think that a nice walnut tasting flight would be better than the birch or pine one's that are mainstream. What do you guys think? Obviously I would be able to do volume to keep prices lower.

Sounds cool man. I love building things and working with my hands so I can understand your excitement about this. Tap handles would be a good option also.

i think its a cool idea, but as a wood worker i would be concerned about keeping prices down, especially with hardwoods etc.

Great to see the positive replies!

As far as keeping costs down, I can buy all the wood rough sawn and then plane it myself, also most items are fairly small so I can make the most out of one board. Even the off fall I can use. Should help to keep the costs down some. Now if I were buying wood at lowes or HD, then I wouldn't even think about it!! I'm currently working on the website and getting some prototypes together. Items will probably be as ordered until I can make sure there is enough interest to justify the time. Once I know there is, I'll spend my weekends producing and building inventory. I will also offer custom work. No engraving at this time as I don't have the means but would eventually like to be able to engrave mash paddles and what not.

Officially have my EIN and name. The domain has been purchased.

www.crateandbottle.com (not live yet) Will be offering some different type of wooden crates in varying sizes. Going to work to keep the price lower on them. The more I make, the lower the cost of production. Less setup time on machines and what not.

Going to be looking into getting a lathe and eventually offering some custom turned items. I may stock a few but they will probably come as custom orders. I'm super excited. Everything is coming together nicely. Now to find the time to start building up inventory. Nice thing is, I won't really have too much overhead. Also keeping costs down. If you've seen my mash paddle, that's what I'm looking at doing. I like different woods and would like to incorporate them as much as possible. Of course paddles will have to be food safe woods.

Great idea! Hope your dad has cnc machines and a decent draftsman! You could really have something if you can do volume. You should inc or llc & contact home brew shops to sell your products. You could even get contracts from breweries to make their brand swag!

Latest posts

Back