opening CO2 tank valve all the way...important?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BetterSense

Reaction score
I work in industry and I have always been taught that the correct way to open valves is to turn them counter clockwise until they stop, and then turn them slightly back clockwise. This prevents the valve from getting stuck or jammed into the open position. When somebody else comes along later, it will be obvious that the valve is open because it moves easily, where if it's cranked all the way open, somebody might think it's closed and they won't notice that it's already open if it's cranked 100% open already.

Well, my taprite instructions said to turn the valve 100% open and that this was needed for the valve itself to seal properly. I have never heard this and always barely crack my tank valves. But then I have had my share of slow system leaks as well.

Is it really better to open CO2 tank valves all the way?

The same thing holds true with propane tanks. You need to open them up fully if you don't want any leaks. Learned that after going through a 100lb tank in less than a day at our cabin the winter prices went through the roof. The idiot that changed tanks wasn't paying attention and didn't hear the leak.

Is this something specific to CO2 tanks? Now that I think of it oxygen and acetylene tanks used for welding are never, in my experience, opened all the way. Just cracked. Also, there are tons of dangerous and toxic gasses stored in compressed gas cylinders...at work we have fun stuff like arsene, phosgene, and silane, which either kill you or instantly burst into flame upon contacting the air. I'm pretty sure these valves aren't allowed to leak anything.

I've never opened a tank all the way, never had a leak on any of the many CO2 and beergas tanks I've used over the years. I once opened a propane tank all the way and it wouldn't flow until I closed it a bit. I have heard about the risks of leaking, but have not witnessed that. *shrug*

Chlorine cylinders are the same thing. Most gas cylinders recommend opening all the way. Liquid valves usually are left 1/4 from full open.

Gate valves are like that. All the way open or all the way closed. When they start to fail, they do so between these two settings. That's because in mid setting the bonnet, packing, disc washer, and seat valve are not under compression.

Ball valve...way more gooder-er.

I have swapped about four, 20#, steel CO2 tanks/cylinders at my local welding supplier over the last few years. All of them have had the type of valve that needed to be fully opened when in use. One had a very bad leak when not fully opened. They all had spring loaded handwheels.

This type of valve is called a Pressure Seal Valve according to this Air Products Cylinder Valve SafetyGram.

Latest posts

Back