Open Heart Surgery on my MLT mid stuck sparge

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

veritas524

Reaction score
So I got my first stuck sparge today doing cream of three crops. After several attempts at getting it to flow failed, I decided to dump the contents of the tun into a pot to have a look. As soon as the tun was cleaned, I saw that my SS braid was completely crushed. Luckily enough, i had an extra water supply line on hand and reconstructed the braid. All nine gallons are now boiling :)

I used to always get stuck sparges with my false bottom until I switched to SS braid. Different strokes for different folks!

I used to have problems with my SS braid collapsing, so I wound some stainless steel wire around a pencil and inserted it into the braid for support. Since doing this, i haven't had any issues.

I had to hook an air compressor to the spigot on my mash tun for this reason. Was hilarious, and seemed to help.

I think I'm going to take a 1/4" PVC pipe and drill a bunch of whole through it and insert it into the braid... should prevent it from collapsing.

I like the larger water heater supply line braided hose for this -- much more resilient... I accidentally sheared my last small oen in half with my cheapie plastic mash paddle the last time I used a small one.

Back