Open Fermentation question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brews

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Along about this time of year, a group of us head out to the Mojave Desert for about a week or two. Several of us are home brewers and I asked them if they would like to try an open fermentation batch while we are out there. I've searched for answers and found harvesting yeast, but what about brewing up a batch and leaving it protected but in the open? Would this even work? If so, how long would I need to leave it out for? Any thoughts? I realize I could end up with a terrible brew, but it might be kind of interesting.
Thanks,

I just watched an episode of Brew Dogs (when they are in San Francisco) where they do an open fermentation. Doesn't really answer any of your questions about the process, but I thought it was a possibly neat idea.

Hey Brews,

I'm no pro, but have done this twice before. The first time was out of pure laziness - I was teaching a couple of my employees at the time how to brew on one of our systems, and it was a 15 gallon batch. They each took 5 gallons, and I was left with a carboy. When I was trying to pull my airlock out of the stopper it was in to clean it, it broke, and I was tired so didn't bother finding a different solution...just put it in my closet with a stopper thinking "I'll deal with this later". Ended up kegging it 2 years later and it was exceptional - very Geuze-like. The beer we brewed initially was the MoreBeer! Galaxy Extra Pale Ale.

The second time I did this I tried a little harder to brew an open ferment beer, and it ended up being a dumper. I made the decision to dump it after 1 year when it smelled terrible. Perhaps it would have mellowed out / gotten better after more time, but I wasn't about to wait and find out.

Next time I try this I think I'm going to drink a few sour beers and leave the open bottles right next to my carboy with no airlock on it. Not going to actually pitch anything, but maybe that will influence beer bugs into the carboy rather than a bunch of randoms. I'd be interested to hear what other people have done, and how many have had repeated success with open ferments too!

thanks, from what I've read on harvesting wild yeast it seems that being out in the open and preferably around vegetation it would produce or possibly produce some favorable results. The problem we might find is where we will be in the middle of nowhere. There are chaparrals and other vegetation but nothing like fruit trees. I was thinking if we got it the wort cooled down around early evening and let it sit uncovered, it might pick up some wild yeast. I just don't know how long this takes.

Latest posts

Back