Opale documentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RachmaelBenApplebaum

Reaction score
Since there's a lack of documentation of real experiences using lalvin Opale wine yeast for cider (and otherwise) on this site I figured I'd go ahead and document today's work. I'm currently rehydrating 8g of opale with 10g of go-ferm which I will boost up with additions of the juice to be used, not only for sugars for the yeast but to acclimatize the starter to the temperature of the medium. I'm using store-bought "cider" that's pastuerized, s.g. 1.048 or 13 brix for the winemakers out there. The taste of the juice isn't bad, blended for table drinking with some Gala added so says the label. My plan is to do an extended primary of about 2 months. I'm also adding Tannin FT blanc soft at a rate of .5g/gal for a total of 3.25 grams in a 6.5 gallon batch. I wanted to add rose hips for tannin as well but I'll wait to see the finished product and since they're high in vitamin C I didn't want to inhibit fermentation or make the final product too astringent. Tannin FT Blanc says in the packaging description that it "adds mouthfeel and a perception of sweetness" which should be pleasant since I like my cider very dry, perhaps it will open it up to a wider audience. Anyways, my starter is cookin right now, I have some cleaning to do, be back soon to post initial perceptions and maybe some pictures?

Description of yeast says it can produce a lot of SO2, might be a stinker if you dont feed it enough? You dont say why you choose this yeast, was it just because it has a pretty name:) Good luck , WVMJ

I read someplace elsewhere on here that it's good for cider but there's relatively little information on it outside my own various postings (Gotmead) and tech sheets. No-one seems to have much experience they were willing to share, and I feel it's a very useful strain. I've done some mead with it that's fantastic and it's also the yeast we use at my work for the Rose that just flies off the shelves, so I'm reasonably familiar with its fermentation kinetics and properties and it's a beautiful yeast. As for stinking, cider is pretty much always nasty no matter how you treat the yeast, I've never had an apple-based fermentation that didn't smell awful. And BTW WVMJ, my elderberry mead is aging gracefully! I just opened a bottle because I was having a small glass every night while I had a cold, helped it clear up!

Interesting, I hadn't heard of this strain till now. Thanks for bringing it to my attention! If I can get hold of it, I'll certainly give it a try. The pic seems to show a 500g package, is this strain also available in 5g sachets?

For anyone interested in the specs:
http://www.lallemandwine.com/IMG/pdf_Lalvin_Opale_YSEO_-_Eng.08.pdf
Regards, GF.

Morewine has it in 8g packets that have been divvied up from the original packaging. They have a lot of "commercial" yeasts that you can't usually buy in less than 500g-1kilo so you can have access to them on a home winemaking level. It's a great yeast. Quick update, fermentation is going along smoothly, no off smells yet which is rare for apple ferments :) I am currently pleased, but it's too soon to tell. I think rehydrating the yeast with go-ferm helps a lot with reducing sulfur production.

Are you adding nutrients to your ciders? Ours dont smell bad when fermenting, just normal fermentation smells, I was just kidding about choosing it for the name:) Glad you are a benefiting from the elderberry mead. We picked just enough fruit for a dried elderberry mead and to add 400 grams to 5 gallons of fresh pressed cider. Gotta love Morewine making all these yeasts available, now we have a hard time figuring out which ones we want to use! WVMJ

Morewine has it in 8g packets that have been divvied up from the original packaging. They have a lot of "commercial" yeasts that you can't usually buy in less than 500g-1kilo so you can have access to them on a home winemaking level. It's a great yeast. Quick update, fermentation is going along smoothly, no off smells yet which is rare for apple ferments :) I am currently pleased, but it's too soon to tell. I think rehydrating the yeast with go-ferm helps a lot with reducing sulfur production.

Awesome! Thanks for the info, this really opens up yeast selection for me!
Regards, GF. :mug:

Latest posts

Back