Oops I goofed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

happypanties

Reaction score
Trying all grain for the first time tonight using the BIAB method. After mashing, I pulled my grains and drained for about 30 minutes before I brought the temp up to 170.

I realize now I should have kept my grains in and brought it up to 170, then drain them.

What kind of effect is this going to have?

Define mashing. Did you keep the grains in the pot at 148 - 162 for more than 30 minutes? If so you're fine. In the future you may want to heat a second pot to 170 with the rest of your boil volume so you can 'sparge' by dipping the bag in that a few times.

The mash out is just to make sure you got full conversion. If you did the first part correctly you're golden and it's unnecessary.

happypanties said:
Trying all grain for the first time tonight using the BIAB method. After mashing, I pulled my grains and drained for about 30 minutes before I brought the temp up to 170.

I realize now I should have kept my grains in and brought it up to 170, then drain them.

What kind of effect is this going to have?

No effect on the final product. The 170 is for a mash-out. It's really not needed. It may have made your mash a little bit less viscuous with the increased temperature which might affect your OG, but that's about it. Many people forego the mashout step now, especially when you are boiling immediately.

Yes I mashed at about 154F for 90 minutes.

I just took a hydrometer reading before bringing it to a boil. Came in at 1.018.

I'm trying to do a SMaSH. Used 10lbs of Briess American 2-Row Pale Malt. Started off with 7.5 gallons. I'd estimate after mashing I have about 6.5 gallons left. Using the brewhouse eficiency calculator here: (Brewhouse Efficiency Calculator | Brewer's Friend)

I'm only coming in at 31.62% efficiency. I used American - Pale 2-Row as the grain type. This does not seem good :confused:

I just realized something else, as my wort in the hydrometer cools, the reading is moving up. I'm at 1.024 now.

I'm such a n00b. My hydrometer is calibrated for 60F...I'll wait till my sample gets there and take a reading.

It changes as it cools. Get the temp down below 100 and you are within a few points. Boiling will concentrate it more too.

Put your hydrometer in water that is around 50 degrees. It should read 0.000 - if not it is not calibrated.

Your hydrometer is calibrated at 60F, so you would have to adjust using the table on the instruction sheet, or cool it down. Grain crush is the big factor. Add DME to raise gravity of your wort; 1lb.=s .010 gravity points or there abouts. Cheers:)

Dumb question, but did you mill your grains, and how so?

Yes I crushed the grains on the standard setting when I bought them at my LHBS. After buying them, I read up more on BIAB and realized people are recommending a finer crush on them than normal. So I probably could have put them through the mill one more time, but I'll remember that for next time.

Just checked my hydrometer again...wort is about 92F and is now reading 1.032. I'll keep checking till it gets around 60F.

Thanks everyone for your help! :mug:

Latest posts

Back