OOPS I Forgot Something

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoeTrott

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am doing kit beers and I just did a batch and forgot to cook it because I had to pick up someone. All I did was steep the grains for an hour and dissolve the hops etc. When I came back I forgot to fire back up and cook so I just threw the stuff in the fermenter and added yeast. Should I toss this batch out or what should I do? :confused:

You are more than likely going to get a nasty infection. One of the main reasons of the boil is to sanitize everything. Grain can carry many bugs/nasty things. It may turn out ok but dont expect anything good if you are lucky enough to not get an infection.

I'll try to give you some alternatives -

1.) Dump it
2.) See what happens as is
3.) Assuming you did this within the last 24 hours or so, pour this back to the kettle and boil for 15 minutes if it was an extract bactch (60 if all grain). While you're doing this, RESANITIZE your fermenter. Cool the wort. Repitch yeast (you will have killed anything in there).

Personnally, I'm an option 3 type of guy, but it's not guaranteed to work. Is the extra hour or so of work worth it? Probably, but you may have some off flavors.

Good luck with whatever you do!

You made Berliner Weiss-- traditionally not boiled and very low IBU. Enjoy your sour lacto beer. Or boil it and add new yeast (and hops) as mentioned above.

Check your original post.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/bubbles-443564/
It would be helpful to delete a post when you repost in a new thread.

No need to discourage people from using the forum. Hes only got 2 responses here. Im sure hes trying to get as much info as he can and Im sure we all could relate when we were new at the hobby and inquisitive.

You made Berliner Weiss-- traditionally not boiled and very low IBU. Enjoy your sour lacto beer. Or boil it and add new yeast (and hops) as mentioned above.

not a berliner weiss. Im assuming it was extract and therefore a perfect mash which would lead to it not being sour, just infected

finsfan said:
not a berliner weiss. Im assuming it was extract and therefore a perfect mash which would lead to it not being sour, just infected

welp the OP mentioned steeping grains so there is definitely lacto on the grain & in the beer. My post was, regardless, somewhat tongue in cheek and I should have put a smiley face.
so I will leave it here :)

No need to discourage people from using the forum. Hes only got 2 responses here. Im sure hes trying to get as much info as he can and Im sure we all could relate when we were new at the hobby and inquisitive.

Definitely not trying to discourage. I'm also learning from the replies. It's easier for me to follow all the replies if they are contained in a single thread. I didn't mean to sound crude. I guess I just sound that way sometimes. I apologize.

I dumped it and started a new batch after watching a few of Griz's seminars from san francisco brewcraft. I now have a pumpkin ale going and its the first time the fermenting hasnt started within 12 hours. Previously my fermenting would be active starting at 12 hours and stop rigorous bubbling within 36 hours so I think I was doing some thing wrong. I watched a clip of Griz over and over while he explained the brew process and how not to get anal about it so I poped a few brews and some good 21 yo Rye and burned a batch following griz's instructions. I pitched the yeast at a much cooler temp than usual. Normally I pitch at 90 this one I pitched at 70. This is the first time that I woke up the next day to no bubbles. I lined a larger brew bucket with a blanket and wrapped the inner with 3 blankets and set it by the heater and set the therm to 70. Before I just put the bucket on the counter and let it go. The initial specific gravity was about 5% higher than expected so now I am wondering. Hopefully by tomorrow night I see bubbles. Ive got my fingers crossed.

36 hours into my new batch after watching training movies by Master Brewer Griz from San Francisco and I have very slow bubbling, about 30 bpm. I am confident this will be good stuff. I found a recipe and purchased FRESH ingredients instead of a kit. (Good bye kits forever) my starting sg on a pumpkin ale was 1.085 and now I'm stoked. The recipe calls for 8 weeks from mash to splash and this time for the first time I am anxious. I started on wine so normally I am patient but this time excited.

Back