Online recipe database, anyone know a good one?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clifton

Reaction score
I've tried BeerTools.com. I've got some ingredients I'm looking to use up and wanted to enter all my ingredients into a search and let it show me the best recipes for using up my stock. Thanks for the help.

Not that I know of, we've discussed how cool that would be several times over the years, you imput the grains/hops/etc, and it tells you how close it is to which style and maybe what you are missing.

You know I do it with cooking ingredients and google sometimes, I'll use a word stream like "Recipe salmon ginger soy sauce" and see what pops up.

You could try the same thing and see what happens with beers.

BeerSmith provides a recipe database online, but I do not know of a product that will look at a list of ingredients and provide you a detailed recipe. If you find one, please post back.

Salute! :mug:

I think somewhere online someone made an index of Brewing Classic Styles recipes by ingredients. It is an Excel file. You have to have the book because it just tells you which recipe or page number but it basically lists every ingredient referenced in the book and then which recipes use it.

bmc,
Beertools.com will make a recipe up for you based solely on ingredients and style choice. I chose Scotch ale and just entered in several grains I had (not really knowing if they were appropriate to the style or not) and it created a recipe that fit the style guidlines from my list. It wasn't really what I was looking for but fun none the less.

remilard,
the excel guy's site is here http://www.winning-homebrew.com/recipe-database.html

Beersmith has a feature kinda like that. Usefull, although not perfect.

Select the recipe folder you want to search through, and hit 'Find'. The 'Find Recipe by Ingredient' dialog pops up, and you have several options. In my example, I wanted to find any recipe that uses at least some Flaked Barley, Aromatic Malt, Maris Otter & Chinook hops.

I downloaded all the recipe packs from the Beersmith site, so I have at least a little library of recipes to sift through for ideas.

I hope the other software packages have a similar feature.
:mug:
--LexusChris

*edit* p.s. As with most search/query dialogs, you have to play around with it to see how it affects the search. In my example, because I allowed 4 unmatched ingredients, I got some recipes that only had 4 ingredients.

beersmith_find_by_ingredients.jpg

I think Beer Alchemy for mac has a feature like that, but you have to keep your inventory up to date.

Latest posts

Back