Online Homebrew Shop Experience

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chief764

Reaction score
When I got back into homebrewing in September of this year (5-year hiatus) I decided to make it easy and fun by ordering an extract kit online. I have my fair share of all-grain brews under my belt but I never hesitate to brew extract when I need a quick brew day.

So I ordered an ESB extract w/ steeping grains kit from Grape and Granary (no affiliation) and when I brewed it I thought to myself that it was awful dark for a bitter.

Well, when I tasted it at bottling time I said "this tastes just like a porter." Turns out it was a very good porter! I e-mailed the shop and asked if they had received comments on their bitter kit claiming it was more like a porter.

This is the response I received:

"We have not had similar comments. It sounds like we may have mislabeled the kit. I really aplogize for this. I can send you a new esb kit at no charge.

Sorry about that. My apologies. I am glad that you like the beer though!"

Well, after much inner turmoil I accepted the free ESB kit and I just tapped the keg. It is delicious! Hats off to G&G for their outstanding customer service and delicious beer kits.

I just wanted to share the fact that there are folks who still care about customer service.

I went into that store in September with my dad. It was pretty nice, but I had trouble finding certain grains as they are in bins, seemingly placed at random throughout the store.

I asked where the crystal malts were, as I was looking for a British crystal malt. The clerk spread his arms wide and said, "Oh, here and there". Well. If he doesn't know, I certainly don't.

So I asked about a pH meter. A different guy had to come over as the first clerk didn't know anything about them. But the second guy didn't really know either and just offered a shrug.

So I just browsed around a bit. And the third clerk asked my dad if they could help him. My dad said, "Oh, no. I'm just looking," but he totally ignored me. Maybe he didn't see me, as I was still looking at all of the bins of grain to find British crystal malt.

So, they had three clerks but no one had the ability to help me, I guess. I left without buying a thing.

OP that is amazing! Great story.

I will have to look up Grape and Granary as I always like to have an easy extract kit available in case I don't feel like doing all grain.

Yooper, sorry you had a bad experience. I always give places two attempts before totally writing them off. Maybe it was just a bad day or some new hires. Who knows but I always try to at least alert a manager or someone in charge, not to get anything free but just to let them know.

Sounds like their online service is better.

I've had experiences similar to Yooper's in my LHBS. One time I needed special roast for an ordinary bitter and could overhear the employees complaining about having to dig it out of a bin way in the back. Buzzkill.

This is my local supply shop, I work just a few minutes from there at summit racing. I can call ahead and they will have everything ready to pick up on my lunch break. The head guy is very knowledgeable but a lot of the help can be worthless.
My wife loves the lady in the wine section, she is drunk every time we go in.

Overall though they are great and take care of any problems I have. Which is rare.

Grape & Granary gets a thumbs up from me. I get 99% of my supplies from the LHBS but have used Grape & Granary after a freind's recommendation a number of times for certain items my LHBS had problems sourcing. G & G has always been excellent to deal with and very prompt with shipping.

I wish more of the comments about HBS orders turned out this way. Usually, it's "I placed my order and it got screwed up so now I'm going to complain about on HBT instead of trying to resolve it with the HBS." I think more stories would turn out like the OP's if people would just take the time to politely contact the proprietor. Anyone who wants to stay in business is going to make it right.

Is that the one in Manitowoc, WI? If so, I'm glad you had a good experience with them, but when I went there I was unimpressed. There was very little there in terms of AG supplies. I wanted to get a sack of 2-row but they said they never have more than 5lbs on hand because there wasn't much demand for it. I said ok thanks and left.

Is that the one in Manitowoc, WI? If so, I'm glad you had a good experience with them, but when I went there I was unimpressed. There was very little there in terms of AG supplies. I wanted to get a sack of 2-row but they said they never have more than 5lbs on hand because there wasn't much demand for it. I said ok thanks and left.

not much demand for 2-row? Lol.

Back