one or Two packs of Yeast Safale? Or 1 pack of Champagne Yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silverback23

Reaction score
Should I use two packs of Safale US-05 or 1 pack for the recipe below? Or Alternatively, just switch to 1 pack of Champagne Yeast?

By the way, i can't really ferment too cool. I'm an American living in a sub tropical hell hole. Though in my closet it's cooler

6 pounds of light DME ( 60 min)

6 pounds of Dark DMEn ( 60 mins)

2 Pounds of honey ( Flame out)

4 oz hops ( 2 crystal/2 magnum)

I'm trying to do an extract barleywine. i want the typical sweetness of a Barleywine, but no cloying.

Looks like your OG should be around 1.110 with all of those fermentables in there. I would definitely either make a starter or use two packets of yeast if the starter is not an option.

Here's a pitching calculator you can play around with.

Also, in response to not being able to ferment too cool. Do a search for "Swamp Cooler". They work impressively well and theres a good chance you've got the stuff that you need to make one lying around.

For 5 Galloons, I'm getting an OG of 1.119. Based on that, Mr.Malty says 2, 11.5g packs. It's actually 1.9 packs to be exact. That's all I can really say to you with confidence. I've never done a beer that big, period, let alone with US-05, but it has easily fermented some 1.080 beers for me with no problem. It got them down to 1.009 and 1.010. I'm not sure about the champagne yeast. I've used it in some cider and mead and it really dried them out, leaving a sort of watery alcoholic taste that I didn't care for.

If it were me, I'd stick to US-05. If I was up for it, I would probably build up a large starter of WLP005 or 007 for more flavor. US-05 can leave certain styles a little too clean for me sometimes. I love it for hop forward IPA's and pale ales, but not so much in my malty beer.

For 5 Galloons, I'm getting an OG of 1.119. Based on that, Mr.Malty says 2, 11.5g packs. It's actually 1.9 packs to be exact. That's all I can really say to you with confidence. I've never done a beer that big, period, let alone with US-05, but it has easily fermented some 1.080 beers for me with no problem. It got them down to 1.009 and 1.010. I'm not sure about the champagne yeast. I've used it in some cider and mead and it really dried them out, leaving a sort of watery alcoholic taste that I didn't care for.

If it were me, I'd stick to US-05. If I was up for it, I would probably build up a large starter of WLP005 or 007 for more flavor. US-05 can leave certain styles a little too clean for me sometimes. I love it for hop forward IPA's and pale ales, but not so much in my malty beer.

Thanks so much! I really appreciate your help with this issue. Actually after a little research on this forum, I think I'm curious about simply putting the Barley Wine wort on a yeast cake ( Porter) I just made. That or I will stay with the 2 packs of US 05. I agree with you on the Champagne Yeast, I tried it, and it dried my mead out too much. it was not enjoyable at all!

Looks like your OG should be around 1.110 with all of those fermentables in there. I would definitely either make a starter or use two packets of yeast if the starter is not an option.

Also, in response to not being able to ferment too cool. Do a search for "Swamp Cooler". They work impressively well and theres a good chance you've got the stuff that you need to make one lying around.

Thank you so much! I Think I will use the two packs of Safale US-05 or just rack the Barleywine Wort on a Yeast Cake ( Porter) that I will bottle the same day.
Thanks!

By the way! I will look for the swamp cooler. It get's a 115 degrees here, about 80 to 90 inside my house. in my beer closet. I have AC only part of the day for a few hours ( 4). I hope I have enough stuff to make one here, though i doubt it :-(

1. I didn't mix the wort and water in the fermenter well enough. Actually, I guess I didn't I just poured in the wort on top of the yeast cake, and then I topped up with water, no more mixing than that.

2. I topped up with too much sugar. I did top too high I think, about 6 gallons in a 6.5 gallon carboy. If I eyeballed correctly, I didn't actually measure the gallons.

3. I used old DME, which was the point. It was all hard, not sure if that affected the sugar content. Probably not, doesn't make sense too me.

The most logical reasoning is a combination of not mixing the wort and water well enough, and topping up with too much water.

What do you guys think? I pitched it on a yeast cake and it hasn't taken off yet either. About 12 hours ago. I have her sitting in a swamp cooler with a blow off tube.

1. I didn't mix the wort and water in the fermenter well enough. Actually, I guess I didn't I just poured in the wort on top of the yeast cake, and then I topped up with water, no more mixing than that.

2. I topped up with too much sugar. I did top too high I think, about 6 gallons in a 6.5 gallon carboy. If I eyeballed correctly, I didn't actually measure the gallons.

3. I used old DME, which was the point. It was all hard, not sure if that affected the sugar content. Probably not, doesn't make sense too me.

The most logical reasoning is a combination of not mixing the wort and water well enough, and topping up with too much water.

What do you guys think? I pitched it on a yeast cake and it hasn't taken off yet either. About 12 hours ago. I have her sitting in a swamp cooler with a blow off tube.

it'll probably start showing since within next few hours. what temp do you have the cooler at? good call on using the existing yeast cake, but what yeast was it? regardless, make sure to keep it <70F for at least the first few days so that the beer doesnt end up tasting too hot

also, fyi champagne yeast doesnt really work as well in beer as ciders/meads. it struggles with the more complex sugars that ales yeasts can do. it's really best reserved for carbonation in beer

1) You might not want to pitch onto an old cake. Youd want to take all the trub and dead yeast from the last batch out. Reusing the yeast can be as simple as separating that stuff out in a large glass jar and only pitching the healthy yeast that stays in suspension.

2) Keep us posted with how your fermentation goes. Id be weary of using dark malt extracts in such a high gravity beer, for color and flavor you could go the steeping route.

3) +1 to what dcp27 said. Try to keep the temperatures around 68-70F for the first few days and when the fermentation starts to slow let the temperature rise for a few weeks.

4) Using old extract is never desirable but at least it was dry and not liquid.

it'll probably start showing since within next few hours. what temp do you have the cooler at? good call on using the existing yeast cake, but what yeast was it? regardless, make sure to keep it <70F for at least the first few days so that the beer doesnt end up tasting too hot

also, fyi champagne yeast doesnt really work as well in beer as ciders/meads. it struggles with the more complex sugars that ales yeasts can do. it's really best reserved for carbonation in beer

Difficult to keep the temperature in check here. it's 115 degrees Farenheit. Been able to keep here between 70 and 80 so far with ice bags in the swamp cooler.

She started properly about two days ago. Bubbling away!

1) You might not want to pitch onto an old cake. Youd want to take all the trub and dead yeast from the last batch out. Reusing the yeast can be as simple as separating that stuff out in a large glass jar and only pitching the healthy yeast that stays in suspension.

2) Keep us posted with how your fermentation goes. Id be weary of using dark malt extracts in such a high gravity beer, for color and flavor you could go the steeping route.

3) +1 to what dcp27 said. Try to keep the temperatures around 68-70F for the first few days and when the fermentation starts to slow let the temperature rise for a few weeks.

4) Using old extract is never desirable but at least it was dry and not liquid.

1) Too late, decided to do so after reading a massive 40 page thread on the virtues of doing it and not doing it.

2) FERMENTATION TOOK OFF! Lots of bubbles with my blow off tube, I expected less bubbles because the gauge of the pipe is large. Why are you weary of using Dark Extracts for high gravity beers? No way I can get steeping Grains

3) Trying my best to keep the temps in check. VERY difficult here at 115 degrees and no air conditioning. The Swamp cooler has managed to keep the beer between 70 and 80 Since fermentation began. Smells awesome!

while its difficult, you really need to get those temps down lower. in a big beer you're just asking for fusels that hot

Is a final gravity reading of 1.030 too high for this Barleywine. There is some sweetness there, though I'm not sure whether it's cloying or not. How do you tell. To me it could be a Dogfish head beer, one of the sweeter ones like the Palo Santo Marron or Southern Tier's Creme Brulee. Should I throw in another pack of yeast?

Back