One Hour Brew Day

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BreezyBrew

IPA is my spirit animal
Reaction score
So, here are my thoughts:

It would have to be extract and I'd use some of my traditional equipment to make this happen. I'm not going to count setting up the equipment, prepping yeast or clean up since this isn't actually brewing. Here's the time line:

15 Minutes - Bring water to a boil (full volume boil)
10 Minutes - Boil extract
2 Minutes - chill wort down to 180 F (with plate chiller)
20 Minutes - Whirlpool hop edition using high alpha hops to get enough bitterness
8 Minutes - Chill to 62 and transfer wort to sanitized carboy
5 Minutes - Pitch rehydrated or starter yeast and transfer to fermenter

Anyone ever try something like this? Thoughts?

Never tried it but would be interested to know your results.

In the summer it takes me longer than 8 minutes to chill from 180F to even 70F.

You are best to boil the beer for 20 minutes and add your hop additions between 20 and 5 minutes, if you want any IBU contribution at all. At 20 minutes you are using 55% or so of the hop's IBU Potential.

You will not likely achieve any IBUs after the boil is complete.

You could add your bittering hops to the water when you bring it to a boil. The longer contact time the more alpha-isomerization.

But on the whole scale of things, why not boil for 45' or the full hour? Once you add prep work and cleanup as well as racking and packaging later, the extra 30-50 minutes spent on boiling is one of the best investments you can make for your beer. And extract brews are pretty short already. Steep and sparge the specialty grains on the side while you bring your water to a boil.

One hour brew day?

0 time for set up and cleaning?
Like sanitizing equipment like a bucket before use.
Or cleaning your pot, utensils, and hops bags?

I wish I could day to my wife "OK, I'm done brewing, now you can clean up my equipment, I'm going to relax with a cold one".
But she might not appreciate my sense of humor :fro:

>>20 Minutes - Whirlpool hop edition using high alpha hops to get enough bitterness

I don't think you would get enough bitterness.
The whirlpool hopping is mainly for aroma. If you don't need it, then use a longer boil for more bitterness.

On the last couple of pale ales I've brewed, I didn't use any bittering hops, just a 20 minute whirlpool and for whatever reason the beers had a good bitterness to them. For some reason my system seems to be efficient at extracting bitterness. I understand what you're saying though... Theoretically, it doesn't make much sense.

Not saying it'll make the best beer, but this is already done all the time:

1. Sanitize fermenter
2. Open can of pre-hopped extract
3. Add to fermenter
4. Add cold water to batch volume.
5. Pitch yeast.

Sounds like a wine/mead/cider day. In that it takes 15-20 minutes from set up to clean up.

It takes time to bring the water up to a boil. And you have to steep grains for half an hour at around 160f.

You must have an incredible chilling system.... I have never come close to chilling in 8 minutes. Even in the middle of winter when the water is really cold.

Can it be done? Probably. Would you make better beer taking the time to do it properly.. More than likely.

Shortcuts usually do not give the best results.

I've done several one gallon extract batches (idea from Basic Brewing Radio) in under one hour including setup and clean up. The small batch makes for quick heating and cooling, also much of my "pilot" brewery is always set up. Normally I brew either 3 gallon batches (induction cooker) or 6 - 10 gallon on propane burner. However, if time is short and I want to test something, the quick extract is fun.

Shortcuts usually do not give the best results.

This is a great point that a few folks have brought up. It kind of sounds like a fun experiment, but I may wish I had just done a regular AG batch after I tasted the beer since it requires quite a bit of the same work.

I've done several one gallon extract batches (idea from Basic Brewing Radio) in under one hour including setup and clean up. The small batch makes for quick heating and cooling, also much of my "pilot" brewery is always set up. Normally I brew either 3 gallon batches (induction cooker) or 6 - 10 gallon on propane burner. However, if time is short and I want to test something, the quick extract is fun.

Here is the Basic Brewing Video: http://hwcdn.libsyn.com/p/8/5/f/85f...07902971&hwt=90de66e6ef2a6be9ccee32c809624fc7

Latest posts

Back