Omega Yeast HotHead Temps?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maverick986

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I just pitched this yest yesterday and it is going crazy, with an ambient temp of 67-68°. I've read a couple places of some issues of the yeast stalling out when at ~68°, and was talking to someone at a LHBS, where they said the fermented it around 86° and got some interesting fruit/citrus (can't remember which or both).

I'm making a NE IPA, and interested in getting some of the honey/mango Omega mentions in their site description. So, I'm wondering if I should consider wrapping the fermenter in a blanket to hold its heat in, or maybe a heating blanket? Or, let it be until I see bubbling slow down and then wrap it up in a blanket/heating blanket to raise the temp at that point?

I have tried looking around for info on fermenting a batch at multiple temps, however seem to have found very little, or have gotten confused on it.

Kveik yeast, which HotHead is also one, are generally clean under 75-80F and will throw brighter esters when fermented close to 95-100F.

Thanks. That's more or less what I've understood. I saw some place where fermentation started out at some temp 68°? Then after some set number of days or some point in the fermentation cycle they stepped up the temp, and did that I think 2 times. I wasn't sure if there's a prescribed course for doing that, or just trial and error to find a process that works for me?

Latest posts

Back