Old smack packs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewhemoth

Reaction score
Are old smack packs usable?
I have one that is nearly a year old (1056) and it has been sitting in the fridge the whole time. The pack had swelled quite soon after receiving it in the mail which is why i never used it.

If i were to make, for example, a 1L starter and then step it up would the yeast be vital? should i expect off flavors?

any suggestions on whether to bother trying this?

I have made starters from smack packs that are over a year old. Give it a go, worst case is you are out some time and DME.

I have a carboy of cider cooking merrily away right now, that was done with a year old pack of 1098 that was over a year old.

I started the pack in a Liter of apple juice, sat it somewhere warm and mostly ignored it until it started cookin', then dropped that into a gallon of juice for a couple days, then pitched the whole lot into a carboy with juice to fill.

I'd say there are likely survivors in there, but how many... Only trying will sort that out.

TeeJo

Back