Old Regulators still good?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maverick986

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
My father has an old (we're guessing 45-55 yo) CO2 tank and regulator he is giving me. I know the tank will not be good to use anymore, and will need replacing. We just dug this out and it needs a cleaning, but should the regulator still be usable, or do they need rebuilding?
IMG_20180824_160716135.jpeg

The diaphragm might be cracked due to age, but you'd know pretty quickly upon opening the tank valve. If it doesn't leak, you're good. The only other problem could be a stuck needle valve.

Those 4 screws get you to the diaphragm and needle valve. Its easy to take apart and put back together. You can do it. It's a very simple machine.

There are some rubber components and seals inside a regulator, they may have dry rotted. You'll know when you connect one to a full tank...

That tank can probably be swapped out somewhere. They may or may not charge you for a hydro test, depending where you buy the new one from. I'd give it a good clean so it doesn't look as old, and call around for swapping it out.

My last tank was due for a hydro test, and I was able to swap it out for an almost brand new one at Praxair. I now keep swapping them, cost me about the same as a refill in this area, around $30 for 20#. That way there's no wait or the need to pick it up a few days later, or getting it tested every 5 years (~$25-30 each time).

I had a really nice looking tank that I bought several years ago. But after considering the cost to have it hydrotested, I just exchanged it. Now I live with a less attractive tank.

Latest posts

Back