Old racetrack parts - has anyone seen these before?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DustBow

Reaction score
I got sucked into the recent Keg Connection sale where they were selling some racetrack lid kegs. I got one of each style - single metal handle and double rubber handle. They both hold pressure and work fine, but man, these things are a little different.
I've done some research here and found out the Firestone racetracks come with these "spacers" in the post that fit under the poppet. These plastic/vinyl spacers are slightly shorter than the ones you can still buy at places like Williams.

Well, my keg has one of these vinyl spacers on the gas side, but on the liquid side there looks to be a "SS spacer" with an o-ring/gasket on each side of the spacer.

Sorry for the poor phone pic but here are the spacers:

It looks like a regular dip tube o-ring will work fine for the smaller o-ring on the spacer, but the bottom of the spacer holds a thicker, flat gasket - it's on the far right. One o-ring isn't tall enough to make the seal and 2 o-rings appear to be too tall - the 2nd one won't stay on.

Does anyone know the size of this gasket? Is this just one of those "quad-core" o-rings you can order from McMaster? Same size or different ?
Is that bigger gasket just one of these?: http://www.austinhomebrew.com/product_info.php?cPath=178_40_271_560&products_id=10799

The keg holds pressure fine, but I would really prefer to change out all the original gaskets/o-rings with new ones before I start using it. (I think from this point on, I'm just going to stick with Cornelius brand or the new kegs so all the parts are universal and I'm not messing with so many different parts/brands/sizes/etc......)

thanks for any help you can provide.

rtk1.jpg

And just to show you how different all these kegs can be, below is a pic of the diptube connections for the Cornelius brand single handle racetrack.
There are no actual post threads on the keg, just holes on top of the keg where the threads usually are.
Then there are these SS flare-type of fittings that you attach to each other through the hole - similar to those pressure relief valve systems you can install on older lids, but the sizing is a bit different.

rtk2.jpg

Ya know I bought some racetrack kegs from them a while back and I sort of regret that. The parts can be tricky to find.

I'd recommend talking with kegconnection. They were great at helping me get the parts I needed. I'm sure if they don't have the parts they might be able to point you in the right direction.

Yeah, I've already spoken to Ben once, he's out on vacation for the rest of the week, I just wanted to get some feedback from the members here.
I've never had a problem with KC that wasn't resolved to my satisfaction, they are good guys to work with.
But with used cornys getting more & more scarce, I think I'm only going to buy them in person from now on where I can inspect them before purchase.

Gotcha. Ya kc are really some good people, great customer service.

I agree its getting real hard to find quality cornys anymore. Its hard to believe they used to sell for 5-10 bucks a piece.

Latest posts

Back