Old Colonial Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shaffer1515

Reaction score
I brewed an old colonial ale featured in an BYO and came out with a high gravity beer (1.070) yesterday and used WLP 007 with an expiration date of today and didn't get to make a starter for it the day before. I have a pack of dry Manchester yeast I am debating on aerating and pitching the dry yeast on top of the WLP007 because I am worried it just wont get the job done... thoughts?

You underpitched. It may be fine, many times it is, it just takes a day or two longer. You could pitch the 2nd strain of yeast as well, rehydrate, but generally you dont want to aerate beer that has begun active ferementation.

I've seen some brewers use multiple yeast strands with big beers during a short period of time while the beer has a krausen and fermentation is really kicking...

I pitched the dry Manchester yeast about 10 hrs after the liquid. I took a reading yesterday (5 days after brewday) and I'm at 1.030ish and bubbling is slowing down. Moved it to a warmer space in the house (was previously at 67 degrees, now more close to 70) to see if it'll finish out but I'm getting a little worried itll get stuck.

Latest posts

Back