Old Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jackwhite

Reaction score
I just found what must be 3-4 year old beer. It was a bit over carbonated and had a bit of an off flavour (too much rye If I remember correctly) which is why it was forgotten. Besides a bit winey not bad. Whats the oldest beer you've had not intentially aged?

Although not a homebrew, I found a can of Iron City beer in my parents garage in 2007. It was the 1979 Pittsburgh Steelers commemorative can (that's 28 years-old to you mathematically challenged). I chilled it, punctured the bottom (the empties are worth money with the tab still in tact), poured it in a glass, and took a swig....I died. The end.

Although not a homebrew, I found a can of Iron City beer in my parents garage in 2007. It was the 1979 Pittsburgh Steelers commemorative can (that's 28 years-old to you mathematically challenged). I chilled it, punctured the bottom (the empties are worth money with the tab still in tact), poured it in a glass, and took a swig....I died. The end.

I once drank a can of fresh Iron City and died!

Wouldn't it be more valuable if it was still full?? You wouldn't have died either.;)

On a side note I've drank many cases of Iron and I'm still alive. somehow...

2 year old Coors Light. Went over to a friend's house and he offered my wife and me a beer. He had just bought a (relatively) new fridge off craigslist, and the guy had told him he could take the beer that was in the fridge. Since Bud Light is my preferred BMC, I don't drink Coors Light ever, but it was all he had. I wasn't too sure how it was supposed to taste, so I figured it was at it's normal level of skunkiness. Started looking at the can because it was branded Super Bowl XLII. Wife and I look at each other: "wait a minute, didn't they just play XLIV?" We don't let him live it down.

When my buddy moved in 2009, we found a 40 of bud light in the back of his garage fridge. It was from 2004 and the fridge had been off for a couple of weeks. So of course, we threw it in the cooler and brought it with us and fed it to one of the light beer drinkers that helped with the move.

It didn't phase phase him until we told him how old it was. I tried it too. Some major off flavors but I didn't get sick at least.

7+ years. I gave up homebrew for a little over 7 years. When I started up again, I found some full bottles of old homebrew. The lower alcohol beers were crap, but the bigger beers were still pretty good.

About four years ago, I found a Bud Lite in my grandmother's fridge that had expired in the late 90s/early 2000s (can't exactly remember but old enough that the can was the red Bud Lite design). Tasted like malt liquor, but not nearly as bad as I anticipated.

My dad and I were cleaning the basement and we found a case of Duke (Duquesne Brewing) beer under some junk in the corner. He remembered buying it for when my great-aunt came to visit about twenty years earlier. Dad wasn't much of a beer drinker so it just sat there in the case after everybody left. The cardboard case was all musty and rank. My dad took it to the plant with him and left it on their loading dock so that he could dump it into one of their recycling bins after work. When he came out later, a bunch of the guys who worked with him were kicked back, working their way through the case.

I clean up trash out of local rivers and often find full cans of cheap beer that have expired who knows how long ago. Almost all of them taste pretty much like fresh cheap beer. I think the trick is that they've been stored in water that was 60-72 degrees temperature the entire time, and they're canned so no light breaks them down.

Latest posts

Back