Oktoberfest party food ideas required.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Captain_Bigelow

Reaction score
So we are hosting an Oktoberfest party and I need some ideas for German themed food - other than bratwurst and sauerkraut. I did a search and couldn't really find anything. Does anyone have any good recipes?

Thanks!

To be clear, you want Bavarian foods...

For me, that means bretzlen!!! Go to braukaiser's page and get his recipe for German soft pretzels. Either that, or use Alton Brown's recipe for them.

If you have time, you can also get a piece of beef and brine it for a few days to make sauerbraten with gingersnap gravy. Spaetzle goes great with that...

In my opinion, you can't have an Oktoberfest party without beer-cheese soup. There are plenty of recipes online, plus I'm sure HBT has a couple

Weisswurst, if you can find it.

Rotkohl is also tasty. Try googling rotkohl, or "german red cabbage"

Besides the aforementioned sausages (2 kinds - homemade), kraut and pretzels, we also make about 4 lbs worth of sauerbratten, and a whole mess of potato salad.

Bratkartoffeln, spiegelei, guerke and a few schweinemedaillons is a nice one.

Boiled peeled and cooled potatoes.
Speck or pancetta.
Onion
Dill pickles
Eggs
Chopped onions
salt, pepper and sweet paprika powder to season.

Basically, boiled, peeled and cooled soapy potatoes ( if you use floury potatoes they will go to mush in the pan), slice the potatoes into about 1/4 nch slices.
You can use the pure fat speck and put that in the pan first and render it a bit to get some pig fat into the pan, then fry your potatoes in this, turning gently to brown and not break up the slices. Once browned then add the chopped onions and sweat a little, you want to add the onions towards the end so you do not burn and blacken them.
Season with salt pepper and a bit of sweet paprika. This is generally served with a fanned gherkin and some soft sunny side up eggs on top.
You can also put a few pork medaillons with it, but then you'd generally leave out the eggs, although you can put them both on there if you are so inclined.

This is very authentically German pub food.

I 4th the warm potato salad. So good! Spaetzle is a must also. I've also had a tasty cold green bean salad, although I don't know what its called.

I made a venison stew last night from a recipe I found from google... It was pretty good, but a touch too sweet. I also made bread dumplings (semmelknoedlen?) with it. Holy crap, they were gut bombs!!! SOOOOOO good!!!

We are having Hallowfest this weekend. Half Halloween, half Oktoberfest party. I have a keg of Altbier, Kolsch and Extra Stout on tap and am going to be making Pork ribs as well. I'm thinking that since this is somewhat of a german party I'd like to put a german twist onto the ribs. Does anyone have a good recipe for pork ribs to make them more "german"? aside from slopping saurkraut on them. We are having spoetzl and red cabbage catered in as well.

Does anyone have a good recipe for pork ribs to make them more "german"? aside from slopping saurkraut on them.

sauerbraten marinade for the ribs ( 1 day ) then roast in a hot oven for 20 minutes, turn off the oven. come back in three hours and eat some ribs.
:tank:

Back