Oktoberfest no lager capability

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

STLRAB

Reaction score
Got this recipe off of Beersmith.com. I am a stove top partial mash novice so I liked the simplicity of this recipe. I don't have lager capabilities so I am looking for an Oktoberfest ale recipe. Can I replace lager yeast with an ale and ferment at 65 to 68 degrees and be ok? Suggestions and comments welcome. Thank you.

1 lbs Caramunich II (46.0 SRM)
2 lbs Pilsen Dry Extract (3.0 SRM)
1.0 oz Hallertau Hallertauer [4.1%] - Boil 60 min
6 lbs Amber Liquid Extract [Boil for 15 min] (12.5 SRM)
1 pkgs Octoberfest Lager Blend (Wyeast Labs #2633)

I've not done an Octoberfest or "aletoberfest" beer (yet), but I'd probably be tempted to use a German ale yeast.

Check out Chop & Brew's website, episode 13. Wyeast 1007 was used for it. I've done an altbier before and used US-05 (what came with the kit), so maybe that would be a good one too if you're having to use what you have on hand.

+1 for German Ale 1007. I've used it for a honey faux-bock to try and fake a lager. Worked pretty well, ferment cool near its low end 55-57F and you'll have a nice clean ale that mimics the lager character.

WLP060 has an incredibly clean and smooth profile IMO. Plan on trying this in my own oktoberfest ale soon.

Regular old Nottingham is very clean fermented art 62-64 if you can swing it too.

Latest posts

Back