Oktoberfest-ish brew- advice wanted

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bbrim

Reaction score
First off, I will be using a clean ale yeast so my recipe is only similar to Oktoberfest. Second, I'm looking for something more akin to a German festival brew rather than an American Fall Seasonal known as Oktoberfest. This means simple, malt forward, and crisp with light hop flavor. So my current recipe is for 10 gallons.
9 lbs Munich Malt
9 lbs Pilsner Malt
2 oz Northern Brewer at 60 minutes 21.9 IBU
3 oz Hersbrucker at 15 minutes 3.9 IBU
American Ale Yeast

Anticipated OG 1.048
IBU 25.8

My question is should I add just a bit of extra character to the malt profile by adding Biscuit Malt? I'm not interested in crystal malts because I don't want any additional sweetness, but I'm on the fence about whether or not to add a little complexity to the malt profile. I'm considering taking out 1/2 lbs of pilsner and replacing it with biscuit. Any thoughts?
Thanks in advance

Some vienna might go along way towards your goals. Remove a pound or two of each and sub vienna for each.

You might want to look at something like:

7 lb Pils
7 lb Munich
4 lb Vienna

You could also switch your quantities of Munich and Vienna. I think the European style beers rely more on Vienna than they do Munich.

I already brewed this morning. I stuck with my recipe. Nailed my numbers, I will just have to wait and see how it turns out.

Back