Oktoberfest Ale - WLP810 VS. WLP080

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GoldMiner

Reaction score
I don't have lagering capabilities yet so I generally use WLP810 San Fran Lager to ferment my Oktoberfest Ale.

What would the drawback to using WLP080 Cream Ale Blend instead?

Sounds like a good substitute to use in making an Oktoberfast. Just make sure you stay in the temp range of 65 to 70F. Higher temps will not give you the same result.

Just got done tasting my cream ale prebottle and I used wlp080. Has a nice american ale feel cleaned up real nice. Used this instead of the recommended american ale.

WLP036 or K97 are great ale yeasts for mOktoberfest beers.

I used 080 for a pseudo lager and wasn't too pleased with it. Its not bad just not nearly as clean as I would like it. I've used wyeast cali common yeast for a schwartzbier and fermented in the high 50's and it came out super clean. With the 080 I fermented in the low 60's and it threw off tons of sulfer, with a large starter. Your results may differ. If I were to do it again I would just use 001 or 036.

Latest posts

Back