Okay to ferment 2G in a 5G fermenter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leezer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So far I have done only one gallon batches using 2 gallon buckets for fermenting. My next brew will be 2 gallons and I think my 2 gallon buckets are too small to use. I happen to have an empty 5 gallon Poland Springs water jug I was considering using as a fermenter. Is that too big to use? Would I be better off just buying a 3 gallon carboy or bucket? Thanks in advance for your help.

5 gallons is fine to ferment 2 gallons in, problem is that some water bottles are not rated for the alcohol and/or acids that are present in home brewing.

I don't see why it wouldn't be okay. I use a 5 gallon carboy for 3 gallon batches, I think the issue with too big of a fermenter is more associated with secondary fermentation when you don't want any headspace with air touching your beer.

Just adjust your 2 gallon brew to put about 1.8 or 1.9 gallons in it and your good to go. I do it all the time in HD 2 gallon paint buckets and the bottled result is usually 3 six packs.

Back