Ok to bottle with these?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buzzno

Reaction score
I received these bottles with a whole batch of flip top bottles I bought from someone and I'm wondering if they're OK to bottle with? The guy I bought them from said he used them but I just want to make sure. Does anyone know the origin of these and if they're OK to use?

ForumRunner_20130914_211112.png

ForumRunner_20130914_211127.jpg

I would think they are fine. I would get new gaskets though. Definitely a nice looking bottle.

Thanks guys. New gaskets indeed. Any ideas where they are from? The picture on the cap has what looks like a barrel or a kettle with mash paddles and wheat stalks.

Thanks guys. New gaskets indeed. Any ideas where they are from? The picture on the cap has what looks like a barrel or a kettle with mash paddles and wheat stalks.

Aew they 1 or even 2 liters in size? I've seen similar looking bottles in Germany, Bavaria to be exact. My German father in law used to tell me his father would send him to the brewery with his large bottle and a few phennings to have it filled when he was a kid. It looked similar to what you have there. Are there any other markings? It could have just as easily came from Austria, France, Switzerland, etc.

Looking at the top again I would put my money on Belgium. In the center of the crest is a chalice. If it were Bavarian it would most likely have been a mug.

Well there's actually both sizes. No other markings. They're pretty cool bottles and heavy duty! I'm going to try them out this weekend. Thanks for the info!

I can't tell from the photo. Do these have gaskets like flip-top (Grolsch-type) glass bottles?

If they don't seal air-tight, you can't carbonate in them. If they have gaskets, I'd also go with new ones plus using some keg lube (100% food-grade silicone) on each of them.

I can't tell from the photo. Do these have gaskets like flip-top (Grolsch-type) glass bottles?

If they don't seal air-tight, you can't carbonate in them. If they have gaskets, I'd also go with new ones plus using some keg lube (100% food-grade silicone) on each of them.

They are gasketed like Grolsch bottles. I haven't tested them though. I'll run a test on them but I'll also use some keg lube, good idea. I think I have some around here somewhere.

Back