OK, this has had to happen to someone before

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

QueenOfBattle

Reaction score
Just brewed my first batch on Friday, (extract, 1 gallon white house honey porter) and everything went smooth! Checked in on it the next morning and found a complete mess! Trub everywhere! The fermenting beer literally exploded the air lock, busted the inner piece of the air lock into three pieces. I know this has happened to someone else right? I am not too worried as it is my first batch so ill take this as a trial an error, next time blow off tube. But after replacing the old busted air lock with new i havent seen any action. I am still going to wait 3 weeks before thinking about bottling but someone out there please tell me in not alone with this.

It's normal but I've brewed about 8 batches now and I've never had anything remotely like it happen. An airlock has been fine for me. You obviously pitched a lot of healthy, active yeast!

Congratulations. It happens to almost all of us once.

In the future, use a blow off tube until active fermentation is done. You can then go to an airlock if you like.

Latest posts

Back