Ok, so i was abit drunk

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gab1788

Reaction score
Well, tonight I did my first all grain. It all started well, 4 kg pale, 1 kg crystal and 500g Carapils. I mashed all those at 67c for an hour in my converted cooler mash tun. Then sparged with 13lt of 83c water into my brew pot. Got the pot up to the boil then started my hop additions. 10 g of galaxy (14.5%AA) at 60mins. This is where it all came undone. I figured that I had 30 mins to next hop addition and there was some cold wind blowing, so a boil over was unlikely. I had set a timer with an alarm to alert me to next hops. So, I decided to have a nap. Well I somehow stuffed up the timer and it didn't go off, so I kept on napping. When I woke up, an hour and a half (I think) later the gas had actually run out and the pot was just sitting there outside slowly cooling in the breeze. I hadn't done my 30 and 5 min hop additions and I didn't have time to get it boiling again. So I just put the immersion chiller in and got the temp down to 24c and pitched two packs of coopers yeast. I didn't get a pre boil SG but the post boil was 1056, so I think my mash was ok and I have only facked the boil. I'm hopping the high AA of the hops will be enough to give it some kick without the other additions. Anyway we will see how it turns out. Next time I'll drink lots of homebrew after the mash boil, and not two hours before. Lessen learnt. Actually, probably not. I'll probably still drink as much and just avoid the nap!!!!!!!

Latest posts

Back