OK I'm an idiot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grizwold1

Grizwold Brewing
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Brew day going great--loving my new Anvil Foundry. Hit all the right numbers in the mash, boil went perfectly then it all came off the rails. Trying new procedures--ferment in a corny, using fermentation co2 to push a keg full of starsan to purge the keg. (LODO and all that) Connected the LIQUID out post to the gas in post on the purge keg. (Thought while connecting "man this QD does NOT want to go on the post. Oh well--push harder-there: it's on.) I seem to be of the "if it don't fit get a bigger hammer" crowd). Next day I look at the receiving carboy and see it all cloudy. I think "Oh, I guess it's a very active fermentation and some blow-off is going into the carboy." Two days (and several gallons) later I realize the connection snafu. Now I have about 7 gallons of starsan/IPA mix and about a half gallon or so of my beer left. (Sobs quietly) Should I call this a learning experience?

Oh dang man that sucks. I think most of us has had some of those moments. It does suck , especially after all the work you put into it. Definitely chalk it up to a learning experience.

Should I call this a learning experience?

did you learn your leason well? the gas tube has a dimple on rubber handled kegs, and if not that then, i've already forgetten but think the bev post has a flare ring, gas doesn't....why it's hard to get a gas QD on to a bev post...could always use coke? lol, fool proof!

Wow, I'm sorry to hear all that work and a nice beer were wasted. On the plus side, you're unlikely to repeat that mistake. At least you're not bleeding, burned, or picking shards of glass out of the ceiling. The sting will wear off in a few weeks and you'll be left with a good war story to share with other brewers.

I've had ball lock reversal issues in the past, too. My kegs live in an upright fridge, so when I'm bent over trying to reach into the back it's easy to get them reversed. You just can't see very well. I've found that using a large sharpie to write "Gas" and "Beer" on the sides of the kegs mitigates this problem.

I'll bet your next batch will be unbelievable, it seems to work that way.

Back