Oh my gosh, another 1st AG thread?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robin0782

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I finally made the leap to all-grain today. Brewed an IPA, with Chinook and Cascade. Things went fairly well. I did miss my OG by a few points, however. 1.058 instead of 1.062 I had hoped for. I'd like to get a little insight about what I could do better next time to improve efficiency. Beersmith tells me I got 65% total, and estimates 68% mash efficiency.

I crushed my grain with a brand new Barely Crusher. No adjustments were made.

Single infusion, 13.63 lbs of grain, 18 qts, 1.3 qts per lb, 153°F at the beginning of the mash. 60 minutes later, it was at about 152°F. Vorlauf, drained the mashtun, and added 5 gallons of sparge water at 180°F. Stirred the hell out of it for several minutes, then drained after vorlaufing. Stopped draining at 7.5 gallons in the kettle.

Now, I drained what was left in the mashtun into another pot, and after it cooled and I was done brewing, I measured this wort at 1.028. It was approximately 2/3 of a gallon. Is that a significant amount of sugar that I could have had in the boil?

Any thoughts on what I could do better? I'm planning to tighten the Barley Crusher one notch and see if that helps any. Thanks for reading and any advice!

You need to accurately add your sparge addition so it empties the tun. You had sugars in suspension that did not make it into your boil.

Unless you were brewing a 6 gallon batch. Or I'm reading it wrong, you added too much sparge water. A longer boil would've condensed it. But you have to adjust your hop additions accordingly. You still made beer though and a few points...so what. You should really enjoy your results. Cheers

I start my batches at 5.5 gallons. So, perhaps still a little too much sparge water. That's what Beersmith calculated though, maybe I input something wrong... I'll probably use the same quantity of grain next batch and drop the sparge water by 1/2 gallon. I'm definitely not that upset, like I said it went surprising smooth on the whole. Just want to fine tune.

I have an issue with beersmith where I always end up with extra preboil. Haven't figures out why yet.

Back