OG American IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pjcampbell

Reaction score
Not original gangster... but organic.

Looking to put together just a good clean solid drinkable IPA.

I've got 2x4.4# LME packets - was thinking of doing 1 at boil and one with 15 minutes left but could just do them all at once?

1 lb of 15L Crystal for 15-20minutes @ 160F

4.4# LME @ Boil
1oz of 14% AAU Summit 60 min
1oz of 8.5% Cascade 15 min + 4.4# LME
1oz of 8.5% Cascade 1 min

Wyeast 1056 with a 1l starter (which I have never done)

I noticed that Beersmith changes IBUs from 55 to 68 when I do 4.4# of LME and then 4.4# of LME as a late addition. Is that really correct?

Beersmith otherwise says:
1.063og
1.015fg
6.3% ABV
10.5 SRM
68 IBUs

Will this be any good?

Sounds like a winner to me. Maybe dry hop with some more cascade or amarillo for added aroma.

I noticed that Beersmith changes IBUs from 55 to 68 when I do 4.4# of LME and then 4.4# of LME as a late addition. Is that really correct?

Apparently there's some debate on this as of late. If you look up Late Extract Addition Method, you'll find a number of posts on this, and the old thought was that the higher the OG, the lower the hop utiliziation.

You can see some of the old thought data here:
http://www.realbeer.com/hops/research.html

The new thought, and I guess even John Palmer has switched to this side, is that the actual sugars in the wort dont matter quite as much as all the free particles (ie. trub and grist left over).

I'm guessing that overall, there is something to the fact that the more saturated your liquor is, the less extraction potential it has, that's just a law of chemistry, I guess the debate is just what that lower potential is due to.

But yeah, if you do a late addition, you'll see less caramelization, and I've noticed slightly more of the hoppy profile I'm going for (though you've got to think that if we were going AG, all the sugars and whatnot would be in the boil right off, so...)

Back